The Sewing Place

Bernina SM Prices

Sewbee

Bernina SM Prices
« on: February 15, 2020, 15:44:59 PM »
I have recently been toying with the idea of another machine but I am only in the research phase - and hope I stay there
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 16:50:19 PM by Sewbee »

Celia

Re: Bernina SM Prices
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 17:56:48 PM »
That is appalling usually BERNINA have a list price and very few dealers will change this, what model are you looking at?

I have just acquired an older BERNINA which needed a lot of cleaning and sorting, I have always wanted one that did the large lettering but they are sooo expensive, so  I am very pleased with the one I have but am unsure how long it will last as I know the boards for these machines are not repairable.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 18:03:18 PM »
That is appalling usually BERNINA have a list price and very few dealers will change this, what model are you looking at?

I have just acquired an older BERNINA which needed a lot of cleaning and sorting, I have always wanted one that did the large lettering but they are sooo expensive, so  I am very pleased with the one I have but am unsure how long it will last as I know the boards for these machines are not repairable.

I was looking at the 720. It’s a bit bigger and therefore better dexterity with arthritic hands and more harp space.

I am shocked he did this.

I just checked my notes. He went over by £100, not £125 - even so ...

Your comment about their being so expensive and the possibility of computerised parts failing is  one of the reasons I am hesitating. £2K+ is a LOT of money to last only 5-10 years. Or is it? I have one computerised Bernina, the older model 570, and presumably that will only last another 7 years max. I have had it three.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 18:09:22 PM by Sewbee »

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 18:09:51 PM »
@Sewbee - I ordered a 720 from my local dealer last June. I'd done a lot of research on prices but couldn't find any difference in any of the dealers. I paid £2350 and the s/m was delivered to my home exactly 4 weeks after I'd ordered it. I'm absolutely delighted with it. I already have the 570QE but the 720 has so many more features that I use, and I've now added the embroidery module too.

If you do go ahead, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 18:12:05 PM »
@Sewbee - I ordered a 720 from my local dealer last June. I'd done a lot of research on prices but couldn't find any difference in any of the dealers. I paid £2350 and the s/m was delivered to my home exactly 4 weeks after I'd ordered it. I'm absolutely delighted with it. I already have the 570QE but the 720 has so many more features that I use, and I've now added the embroidery module too.

That’s the same price the other dealers are charging now - except my local dealer. It’s not the £100 that bothers me, it’s the principle of it.

Yes, it is a gorgeous machine. We have the same taste

Celia

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 18:16:45 PM »
If it helps the old one I have just re homed is an Artista 180 and it is approximately 18 years old, it has been used a lot but not for the last couple of years.
The 720 looks lovely

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 18:24:18 PM »
If it helps the old one I have just re homed is an Artista 180 and it is approximately 18 years old, it has been used a lot but not for the last couple of years.
The 720 looks lovely

Celia, That does make me feel better. If it lasted even 15 years, I would be happy. I am 67 now and don’t want to be buying another machine in five years; however, I didn’t expect to be want to buy another one so soon after buying the 570.

I am used to keeping machines for donkey’s year’s! I had a 930 Record and 1260 before I bought the 570. Machine buying has changed so much since then.

Eighteen years is a fabulous age for an Artista. I just looked it up. A very nice machine and computerised, too. That gives me hope

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »

Hi Kenora @Kenora!

What features do you particularly like on the 720 that are not on the 570?

When do you decide to se the 570 and what makes you turn to the 720?

(I am trying to decide if I should keep the 570. I do mainly garment sewing but am also delving into machine appliqué and a little quilting.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:05:14 AM by Sewbee »

KayK

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 13:55:05 PM »
I bought a 2nd hand 1260 for £85, and had it serviced as it was a little tricky - that cost another £90, but money well spent.  It is still going strong and the engineer reckons it has a lot of life left in it.  I treated myself to a 2nd hand 550QE from a dealer and it is fine, but I have to say the stitch quality still isn't as perfect as the old one!  I too have found variable prices for Bernina - I think they 'upgrade' models fairly quickly too so that might have something to do with it.  I sometimes think I would like to upgrade too, but they are eye- wateringly  expensive now.  I'd quite like one that has an auto thread cutter - my Juki has one and it is brilliant!  The 550QE did come with a stitch regulator, but I sold it as my free motion (big head moment!) is pretty good and I found it far too controlling!

Good luck with whatever you decide, It sure is a minefield!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 14:12:06 PM »
Hi @Sewbee - I think I've covered some of this in your other thread but I'll answer again. I'm slightly different from you in that I do mainly P&Q with some garment sewing. I bought my 720 in July and haven't touched my 570 since then, so that definitely says something! I thought I would use both but it just hasn't happened.

The extra features on the 720 that I like best are:-

10" harp space (more for quilting)
auto thread cutter (more for garment sewing)
hover/pivot function (love this - specially for applique)
auto presser foot lift (couldn't live without this now, especially with my bad neck)
lower thread/bobbin empty indicator (great when you're quilting)
70% larger bobbin (as above)
better/more lights (my eyes are bad)

Don't get me wrong - the 570 is a gorgeous machine, and if I hadn't received the inheritance from my dad I'd have been really happy with it 'til the end of my days, but the 720 is like the 570 souped up. I was worried I wouldn't like the auto presser foot lift - there is no manual lever - now I've got used to it I absolutely love it.

Hope this helps.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 16:23:27 PM »
I bought a 2nd hand 1260 for £85, and had it serviced as it was a little tricky - that cost another £90, but money well spent.  It is still going strong and the engineer reckons it has a lot of life left in it.  I treated myself to a 2nd hand 550QE from a dealer and it is fine, but I have to say the stitch quality still isn't as perfect as the old one!  I too have found variable prices for Bernina - I think they 'upgrade' models fairly quickly too so that might have something to do with it.  I sometimes think I would like to upgrade too, but they are eye- wateringly  expensive now.  I'd quite like one that has an auto thread cutter - my Juki has one and it is brilliant!  The 550QE did come with a stitch regulator, but I sold it as my free motion (big head moment!) is pretty good and I found it far too controlling!

Good luck with whatever you decide, It sure is a minefield!

The 1260 is a lovely machine. I used to own a 930 Record and a 1260 but had to sell them when I came home from overseas so I could buy UK voltage machines. Broke my heart!

By the way I forgot to mention that the dealer told me the most popular new Bernina machine in the U.K. is the 770. I find that hard to believe because all Berninas are expensive and many can’t afford top price for a sewing machine!