The Sewing Place

What to Trade in for New SM

Sewbee

What to Trade in for New SM
« on: February 15, 2020, 18:55:59 PM »
If I go ahead and buy the Bernina 720, which of these, if any, would you trade in:

- Bernina 570QE - three years old
- Bernina 1008 - six months old
- Bernina 830 Record

I know my dealer would only give about £100 for the 830 so I think I will keep that one. But which of the other two, if any?

I can find reasons to keep them all but what individual needs four machines! The 1008 was purchased for nostalgia’s sake - and as a manual back-up when I heard it was being discontinued.

The obvious one is the 570. It has the 5.5 mm width and CB hook.

What to do! Any suggestions, anyone?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 19:50:10 PM by Sewbee »

Celia

Re: What to Trade in for New SM
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 22:04:16 PM »
Really difficult to decide, if you are keeping the 830 do you need the 1008?       

I know what you mean about too many machines, it is also my problem

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 22:19:01 PM »
Shouldn't ask me. I'd sell them all and buy a Brother.  :P  :toast:

My thought is if you value them all the same as far as using them I'd find out what they'd offer for each of them and trade the one they'd give the most for.

There may be little difference on the trade in value. If that's the case,  keep the one you use most now.

PS: I have 4 machines. Only use one, others are more sentimental (and need cleaning. ) Plus overlocker and 3 of those cheap little machines I use sewing paper and with friends for crafting.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 00:16:31 AM »
It seems that when you get your 720 you'd have two distinct groupings of machine. Two mechanical and two modern computerised. As Celia says, do you need both?

Now I'm a good one to talk with my four Berninas 10, 11, & 1500 series machines but then I'm not spending a big chunk of money on the 720. Although parting with machines is really against my personality, I'd suggest letting one of the mechanicals go and the 570 too.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 03:53:17 AM »
I'm with Rene. You only need one machine and that has to be a Brother imo :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 05:42:23 AM »

:toast: hehehe
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Celia

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 08:35:48 AM »

But have you ever tried a Bernina :devil:

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 10:34:14 AM »
Been thinking about this a lot this morning. I think it’s between the 570 and the 1008. I know he wouldn’t give me anything for the 830 anyway. In fact, he made a comment on the phone the other day that you can buy them for £100! I paid a lot more than that, though.

I could keep them all, of course, but I don’t “need” them. I can justify every one of them, though. Oh dear!

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 11:33:28 AM »
Definitely enquire what your dealer will give you. Some dealers are not willing to do trade-ins at all. :\
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Celia

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »
@Sewbee what part of the country are you in, is there not another dealer handy? 
I love the challenge of a new machine that is my problem then I am not sure what I want to sew :devil:

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
@Sewbee what part of the country are you in, is there not another dealer handy? 
I love the challenge of a new machine that is my problem then I am not sure what I want to sew :devil:

There is another dealer in Stirling, quite a distance away. I could go there and see what he says. I am just west of Edinburgh in Scotland.

My present dealer is only a 25-minute train ride away and close to the railway station which makes it handy for transporting machines for servicing. They are good but if you buy anything, even notions and thread, prices are high.

My problem is trying to decide if I should trade in a machine or not. I am nit sure this dealer would give the best price even if I decide to trade one in.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
Ah, I have just gone back and read your other thread on the price your dealer quoted @Sewbee after I realised that I knew who you were talking about  ;)

I always knew he was a good salesman (I have heard the 'snow to Inuit' line quoted), but not that he played games with prices  :(

Can't do any harm to make enquiries in Stirling - never dealt with them myself, but I haven't been aware of any criticisms.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
Ah, I have just gone back and read your other thread on the price your dealer quoted @Sewbee after I realised that I knew who you were talking about  ;)

I always knew he was a good salesman (I have heard the 'snow to Inuit' line quoted), but not that he played games with prices  :(

Can't do any harm to make enquiries in Stirling - never dealt with them myself, but I haven't been aware of any criticisms.

Yes, that’s the one!

Celia

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 13:30:07 PM »
I know who you are talking about and it is interesting, he always quotes better prices to people who are further away, a friend bought from him and he gave an amazing trade in, however local people seem to get a bad deal, not great.  I did buy from him once but he was the only dealer that had the machine I wanted.
I have never used the shop in Stirling but a friend of mine knows him well and recommends him.

The best Bernina dealer I know is Frank Knutt in Birmingham, he always seems very fair and is good at dealing long distance, he might be worth a phone call. https://www.franknutt.co.uk/  I bought my Bernina 350 there.

Stitches

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 13:49:00 PM »
The one in Stirling is great have got a few machines from him wouldn't go anywhere else