The Sewing Place

Lightweight machine to take to classes

Renegade Sewist

Re: Lightweight machine to take to classes
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 01:31:47 AM »
Not all Jems have drop feed.

No, but the one I used had the quilting kit which has a cover and worked fine.

I see you've bought, so please enjoy it.  My two suggestions, in case someone else needs one is either a janome Gem, which are great or the Brother se-400. Might be different in the UK.  New model I believe is an se-600. It's computerized, excellent buttonholes, on and on plus a good embroidery module. It only weighs 11 pounds, under 5 kg and sells for about $300 usd, or 232 pounds. Can't rave enough about it. My machine has sold about 12 more. Great travel or class machine. I quilt and garment sew.

Can you tell I  <3 my machine?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

KayK

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 18:05:44 PM »
The Innovis 15 has landed!  Had a good play this afternoon, and all seems to be fine - free motion (I purchased a foot) is fine, the blanket stitch is good as is the satin stitch, all the things I need for the class.  Using it without the foot pedal is easy, and all the stitches are alterable whilst in motion. 

Now the only 'thing' about it being a re-box was that I found about 5" of black thread wound tightly under the bobbin winder (pulled it out with tweezers) and a small piece of black thread jammed in the feed dogs - pulled that out with tweezers.  Everything else seemed as if it was brand new, all new packaging etc.  I am guessing it was a return as it 'probably didnt work properly'.........just surprised Tysew didnt notice the thread.  I have photographed it and sent them an email about the threads......

Still, it has the full guarantee and works fine and quietly, so looking forward to taking it out!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 18:51:19 PM »
Mmmm.  Is this just a  machine reboxed by Tysew or an A grade from Brother?   If it’s an A grade it would have been checked by Brother.  I would definitely be wanting answers from Tysew as it sounds wrong to me. 

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »
If it’s an A grade it would have been checked by Brother. 

What’s an A grade by Brother machine? I’ve not heard of this term.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 12:45:40 PM »
They are machines that have gone back to Brother for various reasons.  They are virtually new but may have been a wrong order, customer changed their mind or could be the machine was replaced for whatever reason.  They are checked over at Brother and then sent out as A grade.  They are a bit cheaper but still have the guarantee as normal.