The Sewing Place

What to Trade in for New SM

wrenkins

Re: What to Trade in for New SM
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 07:31:20 AM »
When faced with a big decision with lots of variables I first reject the things I definitely don't want. That usually leaves me with only two, or three at most.

What do you want to eat? ??????  :o

Do you want steak or chicken? Easy peasy!  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Gittje

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
With a trade-in at the dealers you seldom get good deals. Perhaps you could try to sell the machine(s) you use the least privately?

Regarding your decision which sewing machine to let go, you could make it once you get your new Bernina and see what of you other machines you are not enclined to use regularly anymore.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 15:37:54 PM by Gittje »

Sewbee

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 14:04:46 PM »
Hi @Celia and @Gittje -

I could sell privately but it is easier to trade in. In truth, I haven’t really decided whether to sell or trade in yet. I need to decide which machine to get rid of first and that’s difficult. You are right @Gittje, you usually get a better price if you sell privately.

The reason I feel myself wanting to hold on to the 570 is because it is a nice 5.5 mm machine “with the CB hook” where the new 720 has the new Bernina hook. I have about three bobbin boxes full of the silver bobbins, although I think I could use them on the 1008. I seem to remember the local dealer telling me the 1008 takes different bobbins, though, so I bought more. But they look the same as the others to me!

@wrenkins That’s the trouble! There is no machine that I really don’t want.

Kenora

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 14:31:37 PM »
@Sewbee - the new Bernina S-570 has the 9.00mm foot which you said you didn't want. It's also only got 8.5" harp space but maybe that doesn't matter to you if you don't do much P&Q. Hope this helps. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2020, 14:33:50 PM »
@Sewbee - the new Bernina S-570 has the 9.00mm foot which you said you didn't want. It's also only got 8.5" harp space but maybe that doesn't matter to you if you don't do much P&Q. Hope this helps. :)

Oh that’s right @Kenora! I forgot all about the 9 mm. I have a feeling this is what figured into my desire to hold on to my present 570, as well as the CB hook.

Gernella

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2020, 15:35:04 PM »

My head is in a whirl with all this! In fact, my head actually hurts.

Oh @Sewbee, the hunt for me is the best part about it, comparing this and that and then prices, reviews, usually coming back to what I wanted in the first place.

I've never had a trade in, I always sell privately, usually on Preloved (also TSP).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewbee

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2020, 16:05:25 PM »
Oh @Sewbee, the hunt for me is the best part about it, comparing this and that and then prices, reviews, usually coming back to what I wanted in the first place.

I've never had a trade in, I always sell privately, usually on Preloved (also TSP).

I am definitely enjoying it even though the decision-making is a bit lacking at the moment.

Tamnymore

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2020, 16:19:26 PM »
Good luck with your purchase @Sewbee . The technical discussion about Berninas is a bit beyond me but people speak so highly of Berninas maybe I need to invest in one!  :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2020, 16:31:52 PM »
Good luck with your purchase @Sewbee . The technical discussion about Berninas is a bit beyond me but people speak so highly of Berninas maybe I need to invest in one!  :devil:

@Tamnymore You should definitely invest in a Bernina! I have used Bernina since 1987 and had the same two machines until five years ago.

Prior to having Berninas, I had a Singer Athena for about two years - purchased brand new - but it was just dreadful. Then I bought a brand new Viking 6570. That was much better and I sewed on it until I took a sewing class learning at an independent store that used Berninas. They had the 830 Record and the 930 Record. I gave the Viking to my mum and bought the 930. That was one of the machines I had until five years ago. The other was a 1260 and between those two had everything in the world I could have wanted.

Those Berninas handled anything you threw at them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 16:39:06 PM by Sewbee »

Tamnymore

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2020, 16:36:27 PM »
Well I've just been digging round the Bambers website - they're one of my nearest dealers. When they say that a machine will last 25-30 years I fear it will outlast me! Tempted though....
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde