The Sewing Place

What to Trade in for New SM

Sewbee

Re: What to Trade in for New SM
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 13:52:02 PM »
I know who you are talking about and it is interesting, he always quotes better prices to people who are further away, a friend bought from him and he gave an amazing trade in, however local people seem to get a bad deal, not great.  I did buy from him once but he was the only dealer that had the machine I wanted.
I have never used the shop in Stirling but a friend of mine knows him well and recommends him.

The best Bernina dealer I know is Frank Knutt in Birmingham, he always seems very fair and is good at dealing long distance, he might be worth a phone call. https://www.franknutt.co.uk/  I bought my Bernina 350 there.

I think I will give Pembertons in Stirling and Frank Knutt a call tomorrow. Something just snapped inside me when my present dealer quoted an additional £100. Again, it is just principle.

I Still have to decide whether to trade the 1008 or the 570.

Kenora

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 13:59:10 PM »
As I said before, I have both the 720 and the 570. I find they're very similar - same size foot, similar screen and icons (but not the same) so I've found since I've had my 720 I haven't taken the cover off my 570. I still love it but the 720 beats it hands down and I will only use the 570 as a "spare" machine in case my 720 needs to go for service or repair.

I don't know whether this will help as I can't make comparison with the 1008. If I didn't have the 720 I would love the 570 .... but .... as I do have the 570 it is rather similar to the 720. I'm getting tied up in knots here so I'll stop. ;)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

KayK

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 14:01:22 PM »
I think I would trade in the 570, as there are some similarities with your potential purchase!  The other two Bernina's will go on for ever so I would keep them.  Both of them seem to fetch reasonable prices on Facebook Marketplace if you have decided to sell them!  I have sold a couple of machines via Facebook marketplace and they have sold extremely quickly!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Sewbee

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 16:19:10 PM »
As I said before, I have both the 720 and the 570. I find they're very similar - same size foot, similar screen and icons (but not the same) so I've found since I've had my 720 I haven't taken the cover off my 570. I still love it but the 720 beats it hands down and I will only use the 570 as a "spare" machine in case my 720 needs to go for service or repair.

I don't know whether this will help as I can't make comparison with the 1008. If I didn't have the 720 I would love the 570 .... but .... as I do have the 570 it is rather similar to the 720. I'm getting tied up in knots here so I'll stop. ;)

Thank you for that @Kenora

Sewbee

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 16:28:11 PM »
I think I would trade in the 570, as there are some similarities with your potential purchase!  The other two Bernina's will go on for ever so I would keep them.  Both of them seem to fetch reasonable prices on Facebook Marketplace if you have decided to sell them!  I have sold a couple of machines via Facebook marketplace and they have sold extremely quickly!

So difficult to decide. I think you might be right about trading the 570 - even though I’d like to keep it/all of them

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 17:38:27 PM »

Sewbee

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 19:19:56 PM »
The one in Stirling is great have got a few machines from him wouldn't go anywhere else

That is a great recommendation. Thank you.

Tomorrow I will call the Stirling dealer and Frank Nutt and see how I feel about them.

Celia

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 15:34:58 PM »
Any news re your dilemma or are you still thinking @Sewbee

So Chic

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 16:15:51 PM »
I would keep the Bernina Record 830 and trade in the other two but perhaps the way to decide is which machine would you miss most.  I know some members love their Brother machines but I was lent one to use at a class and hated it, however, to be fair it was a bottom of the range model, and it put me off Brothers.  Please let us know what you eventually decide.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sewbee

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 16:48:30 PM »
Hi @Celia and @So Chic -

I called the dealer in Stirling but when I asked the woman who answered if they sold Berninas, she hummed and hawed and said she would have to go and see if they had any secondhand ones.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 16:56:25 PM by Sewbee »

Kenora

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 17:41:13 PM »
@Sewbee - I was like that before I ordered my 720. I actually told the dealer I wanted one, so they put it on order but didn't take delivery from Bernina, and then I dithered so much that Bernina had sold it when I wanted it. It then took me another 6 months before I placed a firm order. Of course, I then had to wait 4 weeks for Bernina to build it, but it was definitely worth it. :) (I could have gone for the 770 or the 790 but I didn't want the wider foot or the dual feed. I'm very happy with the 5.5mm foot and my walking foot.)

Sewbee

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2020, 17:45:36 PM »
I would keep the Bernina Record 830 and trade in the other two but perhaps the way to decide is which machine would you miss most.  I know some members love their Brother machines but I was lent one to use at a class and hated it, however, to be fair it was a bottom of the range model, and it put me off Brothers.  Please let us know what you eventually decide.

It’s like trying to decide which of your children to part with.

Sewbee

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2020, 18:03:08 PM »
@Sewbee - I was like that before I ordered my 720. I actually told the dealer I wanted one, so they put it on order but didn't take delivery from Bernina, and then I dithered so much that Bernina had sold it when I wanted it. It then took me another 6 months before I placed a firm order. Of course, I then had to wait 4 weeks for Bernina to build it, but it was definitely worth it. :) (I could have gone for the 770 or the 790 but I didn't want the wider foot or the dual feed. I'm very happy with the 5.5mm foot and my walking foot.)

I don’t want the 9 mm either. I much prefer  the 5.5 mm.

I honestly think trying to make a decision, first of all, about whether to go ahead and actually buy it, but also which machine if any to trade in, is worse than actually doing it.

I know me, though. I always go through this before an expensive purchase. It usually takes me about three months before I decide what car I want to buy and this is very similar. I have to be absolutely sure it is the right thing to do and also be absolutely sure about which one to trade in, if any, before I will go ahead with it.

Kenora

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 19:06:54 PM »
@Sewbee - I think we're very alike in our thinking. Good luck! :)

Celia

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2020, 23:24:34 PM »
Glad to hear you were impressed with Frank Nutts I am also a great ditherer when I have a large purchase to make, I often feel I am over researching but it helps me.
Good luck with your decision