The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: May 02, 2017, 20:01:27 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:57:08 AM by sewingj »

UttaRetch

Re: Carbon paper and tracing wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 20:03:50 PM »
Modern carbon paper is RUBBISH and the tracing wheel is suprisingly tricky to use.  I think your fall back option is better.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 20:22:09 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:56:06 AM by sewingj »

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 21:02:06 PM »
I tend to do everything I possibly can with a water soluble pen or tailor's chalk.  Very easy to use and to get rid of when necessary.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 21:45:17 PM »
I'd use tailor tacks for this. You could use different colours of threads to make it clearer as to what goes where.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 13:27:08 PM »
When something REALLY needs to be marked, I'm still using the waxed paper that we got several years ago when a TSF member went to the US remember?  We all shared a large quantity I think.  It's very good, but is only used occasionally.
For short term marking, I have a chalk pen, or use tailors chalk [I even had one in a  cracker this year, result!]
I've also been known to just reach for whatever pen or pencil is nearest, in a pinch.  Bad Fairy.

A sliver of soap is brilliant for darker fabrics.

I've even used tailor tacks when I'm feeling like being conventional...

I had some of those marker pens that fade, but they fade to damn fast!
C'est moi!

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 13:37:43 PM »
I use my wax paper a lot. I ordered it from the US and had to pay quite a lot of shipping I think but it was worth it. Unfortunately it's only really good for thicker fabrics or underlined garments, because it does show through light colours. Otherwise I would use tailors tacks and draw the lines on with a Frixion pen before sewing, or even thread trace the line with a silk thread. I DO NOT at all recommend ordinary carbon paper. The stuff I purchased (pre wax paper) was absolutely useless.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
Wanted to post some feedback on the Burda carbon paper: I use it when I really, really have to mark something and so far it has been pretty good, I honestly can't complain. Don't have anything to compare it to, so that might be why :D

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
I mainly use tailors chalk or tailors tacks depending how precise, and how many, marks I need to make.  I have been known to use an ordinary lead pencil, Frixion pens or washable felt markers, I do only use these if they are never likely to ever be seen.

I bought a tracing wheel and carbon paper many moons ago, but the novelty soon wore off. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »
Carbon paper and tracing angels are far too much effort to use properly, I agree with everybody above - use what you already have to hand.  Save the cost to buy more fabric  :devil:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.