The Sewing Place

Janome MC4900 Thread catching

Button Nose

Janome MC4900 Thread catching
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM »
A few weeks ago my machine jammed up so I cleaned out the fluff from the bobbin area. There was quite a lot, hadn't been done for a while  :|. That solved the problem and away I went again, quite happy. Last week the same thing happened so I cleaned out the fluff, that didn't do the trick. I've tried many times and have even taken the bottom off as much as I can to get at anything else; I've re threaded just in case - no luck.

The upper thread is catching on the hook race (I think - the silver bit that holds the bobbin) when I'm trying to pick up the bobbin thread.

It was serviced less than a year ago so I'm hoping I can fix this myself as it's difficult for me to get to the repair shop. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try next?

Celia

Re: Janome MC4900 Thread catching
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »
Have you checked the bobbin case is in the correct position sometimes it is out by a teeny amount also have you oiled the wick under the bobbin case.
When you say jammed up can you describe what happens a little more.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
Bobbin case not seated correctly would be my first guess too.

Button Nose

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 14:40:24 PM »
This is where the threads end up after I've tried to down/up the needle to pick up the bobbin thread.

If I pull it all up and try a stitch this is what happens.  The thread in the tangle is all upper thread. The machine makes horrible noises to let me know it's not happy.

There's a tiny bit of wiggle room when the bobbin case goes in, is it not meant to be like that?

I was told by someone (can't remember who) that I shouldn't have to oil this machine so I've never done any oiling.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 17:10:25 PM »
That looks like the thread is catching behind the inner feed dogs ?  Is the bobbin going fully in?  I think I had this problem with my elna once.  Try a different needle too, and brush lint from around the feed dogs.
Willing but not always able :)

JudyN

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 21:03:12 PM »
Is it definitely a compatible bobbin?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 22:16:33 PM »
Is that bobbin one that came with the machine?  In one of the photos it looks like it is just a bit short but could be the photo.  And are there grooves on the middle of the bobbin?   There shouldn’t be any on a Janome bobbin. 

coffeeandcake

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 07:47:16 AM »
My first thoughts, assuming that you have the correct size bobbin, would be to remove the stitch plate and entire bobbin case and have a thorough clean inside.  There may be a tiny piece od thread caught somewhere.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 08:12:30 AM »
If all else fails in the bobbin area, try the top tension unit to make sure there is no thread caught up there.
You are right Janome machines in general do not need oiling but certainly the embroidery machines benefit from a little oil on the soft wick under the bobbin race, it is usually done as part of a service, if you do decide to try it it is only one very small drop.

Button Nose

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
Thank you all. I've just inspected the bobbin and it is different to official Janome bobbins I've got still in their box. I've been using it for months though  :S

I'll have a go with a proper bobbin and see if that makes any difference. Fingers crossed!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 11:49:38 AM »
Only use the ones that came with the machine. If you need new ones, buy proper Janome ones.  It only takes a bobbin to be a fraction of a millimetre out and it won’t work and could mess up your machine.  Buy from a proper dealer. 

Button Nose

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »
Thank you, Ohsew, I'll do that.

Well I gave it one last whip round with a licked cotton bud (ew) and re threaded with a different thread that had a proper Janome bobbin and tried it. It worked fine! I then put the other one in that I've been using for months and it's still working fine. I don't know what that was all about but I've learnt a lot from this thread and will be taking heed of your hints and tips. I will be donating my non Janome bobbins to the local scrapstore.

Thank you all  :)