The Sewing Place

Lightweight machine to take to classes

KayK

Lightweight machine to take to classes
« on: February 16, 2020, 14:18:51 PM »
Oh here I go again, on the whim for yet another machine!

I started in September a 2 year course (with a potential for another 2 years after that) in Creative stitch and patchwork.  it involves a lot of design work and a fair bit of class time sewing a host of techniques.  I am a pretty competent sewer and machine user, but the course is great and the camaraderie is second to none!  It is for a whole day each week, and there is enough 'homework' to keep me sewing for the rest of the week, with an assessment piece at the end of each term.

Now, problem, (although DH says it is not a problem!)  is having a machine to take.  I have two Bernina's - one 25 year old 1260 which, although working perfectly, is a little fragile, and a 550QE which i'd rather not take as it is pretty heavy, and am slightly bothered about it being bounced around in the car as I travel on windy 'B'roads.

I did (stupidly) buy a seriously cheap mechanical Toyota which was awful - never knew where the needle was going to drop, and it had only 3 stitch lengths, no satin stitch, no dropping of feed dogs.  My poor tutor has never heard so much language!  I had to use her machine as mine was just not up to the job.  I have to say I have sold it and it's new owner loves it.

So folks, I am partly torn by a second hand machine again, but now have doubts about whether it will be good enough, or if it needs a service that will all add to the cost, - or - do I buy a new lightweight which has at least a guarantee.

I shall only be using it for classes, but a high standard of work is almost expected, and need something fairly compact.  I have weighed both Berninas and all their gubbins that I need to take with me, and they come in at 15.5kg!

I have an (unhelpful) DH and I have to carry it downstairs and load it into the car.  I sometimes have a (short) walk to the class from the car park, and reverse, and I have having to unpack the lot when I get home again as I use them both and need the flipping accessories etc!

I really dont want to spend much money (£250 top whack) .  It does need to drop feed dogs, have a decent satin stitch and possibly use a walking foot.  Dont need an automatic threader.  would like needle up/down.

All suggestions gratefully received and it would be interesting to hear what others use!  (my classmates all have new/newish Janome's and one has an enormous Brother!)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Vezelay

Re: Lightweight machine to take to classes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 14:40:46 PM »
Seen this thread?

It's out of your price range and not nearby but may give you ideas.

Marniesews

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 15:07:49 PM »
Despite spending a lot of money on new machines when I retired (£3K+), I'm a big fan of buying used machines. One of the ones I bought new because it was lightweight, all mechanical and had the Pfaff IDT dual feed was a Pfaff Select 3.2...but it's out of your budget range new.

Pfaff have been putting their IDT on the majority of their models for years (first appeared in 1973!) so I'd suggest contacting a Pfaff dealer who takes part exchanges and asking if he can source a more recent (ie lightweight plastic) one within your budget.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

twopence

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 15:14:48 PM »
I bought myself a Janome J3-18 to take to classes on the advice of my sewing machine mechanic.  It is mechanical and does drop the feed.  I added a patchwork foot from Amazon.  It stitches well but I haven’t done too much in satin stitch and need to sort a foot for free motion.  I have it in a wheeled bag which makes it easy for taking to class.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 15:46:12 PM »
Well @KayK , there's a Pfaff passport for sale on here which should fit your bill nicely ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 20:13:32 PM »
You could look for an Elna Lotus - they are gorgeous sturdy and very portable! :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

KayK

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 20:16:04 PM »
You could look for an Elna Lotus - they are gorgeous sturdy and very portable! :)

I have seen several of these for sale, for silly prices! They do look good tho.  However I have also seen some dreadful ones going as well.  hmm...........
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 20:53:54 PM »
What about this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/2113319543.

Seems to be a genuine sewing machine business with facebook page here. There's a phone number too, and a website.

Nowhere near you but at least you could talk to them first.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 09:41:33 AM »
I really love my Brother machine. It’s less fussy about threads and bobbins than my more expensive Juki.

If I was looking for something portable but decent, I’d buy either this one or the FS40.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A27XD0K?pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420&pf_rd_r=MF71KVSGMTGQSKZ1D59G

My friend brings her Brother FS40 to sewing class. It’s an older model but very capable and light enough to lift and carry around. 

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »
I really love my Brother machine. It’s less fussy about threads and bobbins than my more expensive Juki.

If I was looking for something portable but decent, I’d buy either this one or the FS40.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A27XD0K?pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420&pf_rd_r=MF71KVSGMTGQSKZ1D59G

My friend brings her Brother FS40 to sewing class. It’s an older model but very capable and light enough to lift and carry around.

I have heard that machine does fabulous buttonholes, too!

KayK

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
Thank you all!  I have been looking at the Innovis 15 for some time, it seems to tick the boxes!  I have a (low) bid going on an Janome Jem on flea bay which has a quilting kit - otherwise I think it may be the Brother!

KayK

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 08:35:32 AM »
Well, the bid on the Janome on flea bay has gone sky high to the point of stupidity, and I have been able to find a 're-boxed' Innovis 15 for £199 from Tysew, as opposed to the varying prices of £219, £239 and £249 I have seen for the same machine - don't quite understand this - surely most people (if they can) do a price search?  It should be arriving soon, so looking forward to a play!

Gittje

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:11 AM »
Nice portable SM, budgetwise as well.

I always make my homework when purchasing a sewing machine, but prefer to buy at my local dealer run by a couple. The wife makes stores and clothes for her entire family and the husband is a very good technician.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
@KayK the price should be the same all over really.  A reboxed one is one that’s been back to Brother for various reasons.

Also, just want to say it’s not all about price.  Some dealers are better than others and some are just plain awful to deal with. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:15:38 AM by Ohsewsimple »

jintie

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:45 AM »
Not all Jems have drop feed.
Rottweiler with scissors