The Sewing Place

Tutorials for Mug-Rugs

So Chic

Tutorials for Mug-Rugs
« on: February 17, 2020, 16:05:34 PM »
I’ve seen several posts re mug-rugs but I can’t find any instructions for them  Can anyone recommend a good site as I have a load of smallish pieces of fabric which I think could be used for these.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

wrenkins

Re: Tutorials for Mug-Rugs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 16:47:30 PM »
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 16:52:46 PM »
TSP mug rug or postcard swap

There are some instructions on the first page of this thread  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 17:00:34 PM »
The ever brilliant Gourmet Quilter
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 13:44:28 PM »
Thank you for the information on Mug-Rugs and I will have a look at these websites.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

ClareInStitches

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 15:43:52 PM »
Ummm; said whilst tentatively raising hand:
  Aren't the lovely mats ruined by use?  Or are they strictly decorative?  I have seen some smashing ones, but would hate to do all that work and have them destroyed by the first spill.

( I have always wanted to ask this. )

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 16:16:51 PM »
I use the lovely ones gifted to me and some prototypes I made myself all the time and have yet to dirty them ...

but ...

I know from some of my Embroidered initial mugrats which I have floated water soluble stabiliser on the top of [to prevent the stitches sinking into the more rustic, looser woven fabric) that they wash fine ... just need an iron afterwards!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 18:28:13 PM »
Ummm; said whilst tentatively raising hand:
  Aren't the lovely mats ruined by use?  Or are they strictly decorative?  I have seen some smashing ones, but would hate to do all that work and have them destroyed by the first spill.

( I have always wanted to ask this. )

I make things to be used! So all mine have been in the wash - dry naturally and a quick iron and they're fine. I do this with table runners and mays as well. If you're really worried use a delicate cycle but all mine have been on standard 30c wash

Sakar

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 18:47:32 PM »
@RJR_38  It's exactly the way, how I do it  :) Especially mug rugs are things to be used and showed and admired every day ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 07:51:23 AM »
@ClareInStitches I use my 'fancy J' mug rug as a mouse mat (in fact I just said out loud...that's mine  0_0... but it isn't).
My two from Effie are used every single day but I will admit to being careful with them. She, in her wisdom, made them tea/coffee stain coloured browns and golds in Autumn colours!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

ClareInStitches

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
Thank you Iminei, RJR_38, Sakar and wrekins. Such pretty things!  I will bear in mind washability.

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »
I expect the things I make to be used.  I often treat them with ScotchGuard stain repellent.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 18:35:58 PM »
Half the fun for me is in using things that are made for me, and living in hope that the things I make for others are also used. In a craft swap many years ago, I was given a lovely crocheted bag for my craft bag. It is now getting on, some threads have loosened and I have repaired the places where it is getting thin. It is a beloved thing, and reminds me of the dear friend who made it for me.

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Sara-S

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 12:28:46 PM »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.