The Sewing Place

Article about Fairisle knitting

Ploshkin

Article about Fairisle knitting
« on: February 19, 2020, 09:22:15 AM »
I found this article with lots of pictures of traditional Fairisle knitting.
Here it is
Life's too short for ironing.

blackcat001

Re: Article about Fairisle knitting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 16:23:04 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading it.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 16:43:48 PM »
@Ploshkin  thank you for posting this, fair isle knitting is my latest thing and seems to have taken priority over sewing. Not true fair isle more Norwegian but these are my latest makes

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 16:47:01 PM »
Just been to my localish wool shop and the owner was knitting a beautiful Fair Isle cardigan with Rowan wools.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 16:59:13 PM »
They are beautiful @Celia.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 19:01:45 PM »
They are lovely @Celia  i don't particularly enjoy knitting with colours though I have done a bit in the past but I love doing aran type patterns.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 07:04:06 AM »
I love Fairisle though I've never knit it myself. The only pattern I was tempted by was in 4ply and I'm slow enough with having a million stitches per row. I did enjoy knitting my self patterning socks in 4ply so maybe some day.... :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 08:19:55 AM »
@wrenkins do try I was the same about 18 months ago I decided to really practise with knitting fairisle two handed, at first it was really difficult but with time it has become much easier and I love doing it.
I had knitted a lot of FI on a knitting machine but not by hand, now on to try more lace knitting this year but I will keep up the fairisle too.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Now that's what you call knitting.  I remember once buying a kit to make a long cardigan with a dragon on the back and and something similar on the front.  I spent hours, months on it, finished up nearly down to my knees and my dragon and looked nothing like the pattern.  It was my second attempt at using more than one colour, first was the school scarf with mum in charge, (I think there were 6) and it went straight to the ragbag, even DH never mentioned it again (assuming he ever noticed).

I have used Aran wool in the past, but nothing intricate, way above my skills
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

jintie

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 20:03:24 PM »
I love Fair Isle/Shetland knitting. DD wears a  Prince of Wales sweater my mother knitted for DH 40 years ago. The late Heinze Kiewe printed the pattern and sold the wool. He had a shop in Oxford.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 20:06:54 PM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors