The Sewing Place

Miriam Cardigan (Quince & Co.)

Sewbee

Miriam Cardigan (Quince & Co.)
« on: February 19, 2020, 14:14:21 PM »
I am more a crocheter than a knitter but over the winter I found myself bored while watching TV in the evening, so I started knitting scarves. So far I have made about ten - all garter stitch but really nice. At some point I will set up an Etsy page and sell them.

Well, now I would like to knit something different for a while - a really simple stitch so I don’t have to constantly count stitches. I have been looking for a stocking stitch cardigan pattern that doesn’t look frumpy and found this:

Miriam Cardigan

It looks lovely. It would also be my first garment on a circular needle although I think the pattern allows it to be knitted on two needles.

My question is this: The Cardigan is quite short in length and i would like to bring it down to hip length. Would it be quite easy to change the length? Would it look okay in a longer style and how on earth would i estimate how much extra yarn to buy?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 14:41:41 PM by Sewbee »

Ploshkin

Re: Miriam Cardigan (Quince & Co.)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 15:43:30 PM »
It is a nice, straightforward but unusual pattern.  Trouble is it doesn't give the weight and/ or length of of the yarn and the one for the pattern - 'gull' is not listed  in the yarns available on that site so it's difficult to know how much extra you would need.
You may also need to find an equivalent yarn as that is an American site and the yarn they use may not be available here.  If you know what weight and yardage you need you may want to look at Drops yarns.  For some reason they seem to be mostly a lot cheaper than many other yarns and it's not because they are lacking in quality.  I have used several and the quality has been excellent
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewbee

Re: Miriam Cardigan (Quince & Co.)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 15:54:24 PM »
It is a nice, straightforward but unusual pattern.  Trouble is it doesn't give the weight and/ or length of of the yarn and the one for the pattern - 'gull' is not listed  in the yarns available on that site so it's difficult to know how much extra you would need.
You may also need to find an equivalent yarn as that is an American site and the yarn they use may not be available here.  If you know what weight and yardage you need you may want to look at Drops yarns.  For some reason they seem to be mostly a lot cheaper than many other yarns and it's not because they are lacking in quality.  I have used several and the quality has been excellent

Hi @Ploshkin - I didn’t realise I linked to an American die. I originally found it on the Loop Knitting site at the link below

https://www.loopknittingshop.com/p/4918/Quince-and-Co-Miriam-Cardigan

Funny you should mention Drops yarn. Most of the scarves I knitted were in Drops yarn. I love it!