The Sewing Place

Vintage machine feet

Puzzler

Vintage machine feet
« on: February 21, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »
Just a heads up for those who have a collection of vintage machine feet/contraptions and have wondered, like me, what the heck they are for or what you can achieve with them, Barbara Emodi of Sewing on the Edge blog is about to produce a free e-book on this topic. I believe she plans to publish individual blog posts first but then compile the lot into the e-book.

Puzzler

Re: Vintage machine feet
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:38:39 AM »
I finally put my binder attachment to good use making ties for drawstring bags. These were cut on the straight grain.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Radiofan

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:12:49 AM »
I couldn't get on with this type of binder attachment, the tape always wanting to wander off and do its own thing.

What's the secret?
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
Oh my word @Puzzler. Yesterday I was looking up binding attachments and the use threreof. I have several that came with my 28k but I have never tried them. I will now!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 08:18:30 AM »
And Yes! Peeps ...

Puzzlers lil singer really is that beautiful! Not a scratch on it ...

Its immaculate and looking at those perfect stitches ???!!! WOW!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »
@Radiofan, it took me several goes. I decided the best width of strips 7/8 inch for my attachment and the best position for the foot. There is a small screw on the foot so you adjust how close the edge you want to sew. The rest is about the way you hold the fabric strip. I held it slightly up and slightly to the right. I watched the strip feed through ensuring the fabric was evenly distributed within the metal cone.

Puzzler

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 08:25:36 AM »
And Yes! Peeps ...

Puzzlers lil singer really is that beautiful! Not a scratch on it ...

Its immaculate and looking at those perfect stitches ???!!! WOW!!!

Lil Singer needs a big clean today.