The Sewing Place

Knit tunic dress

dolcevita

Knit tunic dress
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:56:02 AM »
A few years back I bought a French version of the Dutch magazine, Knip Mode, whilst on holiday.  There's a tunic dress in there that I have wanted to make since I saw it and so, in my usual haste, I finally got around to it 3 years later.

The unusual feature of the pattern is the set in sleeves that run into vertical darts towards the bust point.  Other than that, there's nothing tricky apart from the centre front zip in the bodice.  It has a nice flippy skirt, good for my pear shape, and it fits the bill for that oh so tricky area of a smart casual dress.  I'm very pleased with it and will shortly be starting another one in some hot pink ponte that's been languishing in my stash for some time.  It's nice to sew some brighter colours in anticipation of spring.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: Knit tunic dress
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »
That’s a really interesting cut... looks lovely.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 12:22:49 PM »
Really lovely.  It's the kind of dress that you could dress up or down. 

I love the contrasting black zipper too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 13:52:20 PM »
That makes a change from the usual straight cut tunic dress, it's an out-of-the-ordinary design. I like the exposed zip and love the colour!

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 14:00:41 PM »
That is a very interesting pattern, @dolcevita  !  Looks fab in that colour too.  Were the sleeves tricky? 

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 15:23:12 PM »
Unusual and interesting cut.  Bit of  a raglan sleeve I guess.  I like the skirt shape too.  So useful.  Looks great.  But I’m surprised to see the red.  :)

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 15:38:59 PM »
Unusual and interesting cut.  Bit of  a raglan sleeve I guess.  I like the skirt shape too.  So useful.  Looks great.  But I’m surprised to see the red.  :)

Oh, you know me, @Ohsewsimple , I will probably be buried in a red coffin!

That is a very interesting pattern, @dolcevita  !  Looks fab in that colour too.  Were the sleeves tricky? 

They were a little fiddly into the square corners, @Nevis5 , but nothing difficult as long as you take your time.  I did them in 2 passes, starting at the shoulder point and out to the corner so that I could do everything from the same side.  It makes it slightly easier to see.  It's also easier if you cut open the top of the dart first, too.

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 17:10:28 PM »
Lovely dress, so wearable.

The exposed zip just lifts it

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 18:58:34 PM »
Oh, you know me, @Ohsewsimple , I will probably be buried in a red coffin

Strangely I don’t remember you wearing red which is why I was surprised.   :). But I think that’s a great colour for you.