The Sewing Place

I love lace.... continued

Manuela

I love lace.... continued
« on: February 22, 2020, 00:28:00 AM »
... and try to find ways to make lace more accessible, as in casual everyday dresses. I particularly love guipure lace and broderie anglaise.

At some point last year I stumbles across this dress.

Shortly after I found this lace at EmmaOneSock

It the took a while to find matching fabric for the lining (I don’t want a seperate slip dress), but I got a nice stable cotton jersey with not too much stretch.

This is the status quo, I chose inseam pockets instead of the patched on ones. I also eliminated the collar and slit, I thought it would be too much given the impact the lace already has. I will definitely wear it with combat boots and chunky necklaces though.

All together without lining (sorry for the picture quality, I took them last night.
While I would have liked it even wider at the hem, I was limited by the 2.5 yards of fabric I had. I love how the lace falls.

Pocketses, hardly visible though - they are big  :loveit:

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 14:26:20 PM by Manuela »

Ellabella

Re: I love lace....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 00:56:15 AM »
Stunning!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:53:24 AM »
Fabulous! Can't wait to see the final version with lining installed.

I came across the brown dress the same day you posted it here last year. So inspiring. In really hot climates the extra air circulation is vital. I'm not much of a dress person but I want to emulate the brown version. I actually like having a separate slip, ideally using it for multiple over garments. Chunky boots and jewelry a given.

Soon as I work out a new pant pattern I plan on a pair in brown linen & cotton blend eyelet.  Plan is to line them to about mid thigh.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 03:33:42 AM »
The lining is in, I lined it to mid-knee @Renegade Sewist. While I like slip dresses, Marks & Spencer’s cool comfort in particular, I prefer to line open laces like that. It stabilises arm and neck holes in my opinion. Now thinking of how to finish them...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
Oh, so beautiful, @Manuela  !!   I have no need for lace in my everyday life but you're making me wish I did! x

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
Superb. As always.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
As Nevis5 said - if I lived a different life, in a different climate and was 6" taller .......
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »
That's lovely.  I really like the solid fabric the brown one used for the collar and armholes, could you use the lining fabric of yours for those bits?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
Fab colour.  I’ve made a few lace things and usually go for underlining and then binding the neck and armholes if there are no sleeves.

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
That's going to be stunning dress.  I'm not usually a fan of pink, but that is a good shade.  it's a lot better than the Emma One Sock sugar pink, to me anyway!

The lace dress I made 18 months ago had a neck facing, which was a bad idea.  It kept flipping out despite understitching so I had to slipstitch it down in the end.

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
That's lovely.  I really like the solid fabric the brown one used for the collar and armholes, could you use the lining fabric of yours for those bits?

@Bodgeitandscarper, I don’t want a collar for this dress. My lining fabric is a knit, so not ideal for it either. I’ll finish armholes and neckhole of with bias biding using the jersey.
There will be another one in navy - maybe that’ll have a collar....

dolcevita

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 13:18:25 PM »
Gorgeous fabric, gorgeous work!

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 13:52:18 PM »
Fabulous fabric. <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

jen

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 14:03:03 PM »
So lovely!

Kittensposies

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 14:21:04 PM »
Oh wow, this is beautiful!! I also love lace but am a long way off being able to sew with it. Most excellent job!