The Sewing Place

Selfless March Contest - 01.03. - 31.03.2020

Manuela

Selfless March Contest - 01.03. - 31.03.2020
« on: February 22, 2020, 00:37:16 AM »
Welcome to our Selfless March contest

This is all about selfless sewing (something I very rarely do  ;)) You are about to sew garments for someone else, that can be your spouse, kids, grand kids, relatives, friends, colleagues, or customers (ok, not that selfless)... This contest is open to all categories, garments, accessories, soft furnishing - anything goes, as long as it’s not for yourself.

Here a few rules:
- Sewing starts on March 1st and ends on March 31st
- Any kind of preparation can be done before the start date (including cutting)
- You can post here about your ideas and progress,  but please put a clear submission post up in this thread latest by April 7th
- Please use the template below for your submission post(s) (I lerarned my lesson from past contests  :P)

(your name)'s Entry (indicate the number if you have more than one entry)

What is it and for whom

Pattern used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

Pictures included in the text please

Happy Sewing

Renegade Sewist

Re: Selfless March Contest - 01.03. - 31.03.2020
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 02:02:40 AM »
Umm, would that include a new bedroom suite for the cat?  :meow: Her condo, a 2 x 3 foot dog crate, needs updating. I've got the fabrics.  I'm talking new bed, blankets for naps, a few toys that coordinate and maybe a fitted cover, opening in the front, for the cold winter nights.

Spoiled?  Not at all. She even has her own pet cat.

No big deal if it doesn't work for what you have in mind.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 03:50:51 AM »
Umm, would that include a new bedroom suite for the cat?  :meow: Her condo, a 2 x 3 foot dog crate, needs updating. I've got the fabrics.  I'm talking new bed, blankets for naps, a few toys that coordinate and maybe a fitted cover, opening in the front, for the cold winter nights.

Spoiled?  Not at all. She even has her own pet cat.

No big deal if it doesn't work for what you have in mind.

There is no problem with that, it’s still selfless when you sew for fur-kids...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
Why do I never sew the right things at the right time for these contests?  I've just posted off the reversible padded jacket for my baby grandson...

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »
DH has set fire to one of his memade fleeces(with his soldering iron) and got glue on another one :( . So I will have to make him another one! I wouldn't mind, but he doesn't check if he is wearing  an old one before he starts on mucky jobs.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
Why do I never sew the right things at the right time for these contests?  I've just posted off the reversible padded jacket for my baby grandson...

The list of contests and when they run is on a sticky thread called Contests in 2020....

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 12:54:34 PM »
The list of contests and when they run is on a sticky thread called Contests in 2020....
Thanks, @Manuela - I had seen that, I'm just not that organised  0_0 0_0

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 18:43:47 PM »
I'm hopefully going to make a quilt to donate to charity. I made a start on the cutting out last week so this afternoon I was ready to begin the piecing.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I usually take ages to make quilts so this is going to be quite a challenge for me. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 09:30:34 AM »
I don't believe it!  I've just sewn a fitted sheet, pillow slip, and reading pillow for DGS, and happened to see this thread.  Oooo, I thought, I can enter that one.  :)

Except I sewed it all on Saturday...  29th Feb.  Why did it have to be a leap year? :'(

Guess I'll have to sew him some more sheets and pillow slips... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Manuela

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 10:02:36 AM »
@b15erk, there is a sticky thread with the contest schedule for each month in this section of the forum though  ;)

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »
I know @Manuela , I just didn't check the date... :S

My own fault.  Still DD won't complain if Theo gets a second bedding set... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 14:07:59 PM »
Thought I'd make a very quick pair of trousies for my grandson - I made and posted them so quickly I forgot to take any photos...  :[ :S :o

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 16:51:30 PM »
I might just manage this one. Just cut a nightie for HD.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 17:04:24 PM »
DH has set fire to one of his memade fleeces(with his soldering iron) and got glue on another one :( . So I will have to make him another one! I wouldn't mind, but he doesn't check if he is wearing  an old one before he starts on mucky jobs.
That reminds me of one occasion when DH came home from work and changed out of his suit to creosote the fence. The only trouble is he forgot to change his shirt and obviously ruined it with many splashes!! He got an ear bashing that day!!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 16:47:52 PM »
Bodgeitandscarper's entry number 1

A little pair of trousers for 9 month old Clarry.

McCalls 7827 (which I used to make his reversible padded jacket).
The fabric is maybe a bit stiff, it's says it's a fleece backed cotton jersey, I though it would be sweatshirt fabric, but it's definitely two bonded together.  Oh well, she wanted warm trousies for him...

These are so simple to make, just two pattern pieces as the legs only have an inside leg seam.  I cheated slightly and sewed the ankle cuffs on first, then sewed up the leg seam, which I know doesn't give such a neat finish at the end of the cuff seam, but saves trying to sew round a teensy weensy circular cuff.

I made two buttonholes before I turned the waist edge over, so I could then thread both the elastic and the drawcord tape through them.

Clarry seems to like them...

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:24:04 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »