The Sewing Place

Selfless March Contest - 01.03. - 31.03.2020

Manuela

Re: Selfless March Contest - 01.03. - 31.03.2020
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 14:49:59 PM »
@Fabric Lover, I managed to insert your pictures. Please look at the tutorial I put up for you the other day and try to do it yourself. For some strange reasons I am not always able to do so and really can’t do that on a regular basis.
It is really just clicking the ‘insert attachment’ link that puts them into the text.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 17:16:09 PM »
@Manuela I followed the process to the letter and did actually click the “ insert attachment” link as requested to do so. I don’t know why is doesn’t work for me. It has on occasion in other posts inserted the photo in the text but most of the time it just doesn’t.

I appreciate your effort taken in inserting them this time, and realise that to do so on every occasion  would just swamp you.  :flower: :flower:
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

BrendaP

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 13:46:36 PM »
Brenda P's First Entry

What is it and for whom
Dress and knickers for my new great grand daughter.

Pattern used
Kwik Sew 263 view A for the dress and Simplicity 1447 for the knickers

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
Fabric from stash, poly cotton I think, but mostly poly and it frays like mad so I did French seams instead of using the overlocker, but I did use it for the "rolled hems".

It's been almost finished for over a week but awaiting the narrow elastic for the knickers and puff sleeves.  This morning I'm in make-do-and-mend mood so I used four strands of shirring elastic instead and guess what.  Postman has just put the package of elastic through the letter box!

Can't show piccies of Myah wearing this, partly because of the lockdown but also it's for 3-6 months old and she's still only 4 weeks old.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Starryfish

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 14:13:51 PM »
@BrendaP , That's really pretty. Here's hoping you get to see baby Myah wearing it before the summers over.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

maliw

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 14:40:22 PM »
Maliw's entry

What is it and for whom
These items are for babies born alseep

Patterns used

The patterns are all from Pinterest or free drawn

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc

All items have been made from one deconstructed wedding dress.The deconstruction, washing etc takes longer than the sewing! Much of the fabric has originally been cut on the cross which means that there is a lot wasted and finding the straight grain can be tricky.Lining from the dress is just as important as the main fabric as this gives a soft inside to the items as the skin of the "angels" is very fragile. Bits of leftover fabric are used to make the embellishments where possible and all decorations from the dress are used as appropriate.
 The hearts are given to the parents as a keepsake if they want one.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:19:29 AM by maliw »
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 15:13:49 PM »
BrendaP's Second Entry

What is it and for whom
Dress, knickers and sun hat for my great grand daughter

Pattern used
McCalls 6303

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
Pattern instructions are to line the dress but it's a craft weight cotton so I didn't want the extra weight so I just cut lightweight facings for the dress.  Otherwise dress and knickers were very straightforward to sew.  The hat was quite fiddly and I made the channel for elastic a bit narrow so getting the elastic in was quite a struggle. 

It's made to the medium size 16-18 lbs which I think is about 3-6 months.  There's 'growing room' in the button placement, so it might even last into winter to be worn with a red top and tights >:)   Again I can't get a photo of Myah wearing it; partly due to the lockdown and partly because she's only 4 weeks old so it will be far too big for her for a few more weeks yet.
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:45 AM »
@maliw, is this an entry post for the contest? If so, could you please indicate it and/or use them template on the first post of this thread.

Morzel

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »

Morzel's entry #2

Simple face masks for health care workers

pattern: the dimension are given by the city of Essen, in western Germany. Many other institutions go with the same instructions published.

At the moment, Germany lacks face masks for all the health care workers there are. The existing face masks are reserved for nurses and doctors in hospitals with direct contact to patients that are vunerable or infectious. But there others working in health care (therapists, cleaners, security etc) for whom at the moment no face masks are provided. My friend was asked by a hospital to sew fabric face masks for those employees. The pattern is simple and the masks need to endure a really hot wash. So my friend asked around who would help and I am working on face masks now. It is a quick sew, I can chain piece the things and a very happy about my bias binder gadget. The thing that takes up the most time is making the bias binding. I use the method that my mother, a quilter, taught me- quick continuous bias binding. I started yesterday, am in my 20s and will hit the 50 mark today (done some preparation). And I did a 90°C washing test - they are heat resistant.

Apart from being concerned that self-sewn masks are needed (I feel the provided protection is not high with these), because professional ones are not available in sufficient numbers at the moment, I can see some other benefit with these masks for ourselves. Actually those masks are not to protect myself, but to protect others a bit in case I am infectious. I wore a mask yesterday for about 2 hours when I went out to shop and go for a walk. I realised that it also hinders me to touch my face while wearing it. So, those face masks might still help protect myself...
I do hope professional masks are being delivered in the next few days. Until then, some hospital employees will walk around with colourful face protection!

*edited to add: 64 done*
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 17:15:26 PM by Morzel »
Eva

maliw

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
@maliw, is this an entry post for the contest? If so, could you please indicate it and/or use them template on the first post of this thread.
Sorry @Manuela , have amended, hope this is ok.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 15:44:24 PM »
Kenora's Entry

What is it and for whom

A little girl's quilt which will be sent to the Ronald McDonald House in Cardiff. This is a charity which provides accommodation for families of children who have to stay in hospital for any length of time.

Pattern used

No commercial pattern used, although the quilt block pattern is called the 9 Patch Swap. I've done many 9 patches before but not the swap version which I found while trawling online. The quilting was done using a single pass embroidery design called "Under the Sea" which I bought from Julia's Needle. It is made up of various sea shells which I thought appropriate as the fabric has mermaids, fishes and shells on it.

Short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

The actual quilt itself was straightforward to assemble. I made two 9-patch blocks, cut each one into three pieces, then swapped the pieces around between each block, and sewed the two blocks back together again. I made 12 blocks in this way altogether, so the whole quilt measures approx 36" x 48" including the small border. It is shown with an unpaid model (who does not look impressed).

The hardest part of this quilt was the actual machine quilting which I did on my embroidery module. It's the first time I've tried anything like that, and it wasn't without its problems. I used a large magnetic embroidery hoop so moving the quilt around in the machine was reasonably easy. However, the magnets seemed to affect my machine's speed so the quilting was very slow. It took me 12 hours to do just the quilting, and I spread this over more than a week of afternoons spent at the machine. I also learnt that I had to add a wide panel of spare fabric all around the quilt so that the embroidery machine could stitch right up to the edge of the quilt - something I hadn't thought about until now.

I also had problems with the fabric I used. Most of the quilt is made from 100% quilting cotton (and cotton wadding) but the plain white fabric is 200 count calico. It's gorgeously smooth but it "pleats" itself after being quilted. I've never come across this before. I did try to press out the "pleats" but they didn't want to know. The difference between the quilting cotton and the calico is quite obvious in looks but it won't affect the quilt's ability to keep a child warm. :)

I was running out of fabric at the end so I made the binding by joining 2.5" x 4" pieces of the quilting cotton, lengthwise. I machined this onto the quilt and then hand stitched the binding down to the back as usual. Finally, I made a small label showing where the quilt has come from and the year it is donated.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 15:49:09 PM by Kenora »
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Morzel

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2020, 17:17:56 PM »
I was looking forward to seeing the finished quilt, Kenora, when you showed the beautiful fabric at the beginning of the month. What a great quilt!
Eva

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 17:52:09 PM »
That is so pretty @Kenora - someone is going to be so pleased to receive it.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Starryfish

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 22:30:15 PM »
Starryfish's 3rd Entry

Pattern- Pauline Alice Mini collection Dungarees in green stretch denim for my baby grandson. I made no alterations to the pattern apart from topstitching the edges of the bib and straps as I couldn't stop the facing rolling to the outside. It is faced in green and cream gingham.

They are intended to be worn with the tunic I made for entry 2.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Manuela

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
11 entries so far, yay  :D
Today is the last day of sewing, please put up your entries by April 7th   :)

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
@Kenora  ... Loving the quilt and especially the quilting ...

Ive yet to even align letters on my machine and quite worried about it tbh .... I would love Elvistoo to do the quilting on one of my quilts ... Thanks for the heads up about extra fabric on the sides and also the under the sea pattern ... I will definitely check those out!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again