The Sewing Place

Janome New Home Combi DX Machine

Michelle

Janome New Home Combi DX Machine
« on: February 23, 2020, 15:01:58 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie and came across this forum accidentally (glad I did) because of the above machine.  The post was from April last year, so quite old, and there were a few messages about the machine.  It's an unusual machine because it has an overlocker on one side and sewing machine on the other.

I have one which my grandad bought for me in 1990 for my A' level textiles.  It's a brilliant machine and still going strong.  When I left Uni, I was self-employed and  I used it nearly every day for the business and it never let me down.  It was only a few years ago that something in the foot pedal went (wear and tear); the part was replaced and it still works.  Someone mentioned that it must have been expensive; from what I remember, it was £500.  I will never sell it.  If anyone wants any more info, I'll gladly help.   :)

MissMagpie

Re: Janome New Home Combi DX Machine
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 00:10:17 AM »
I’ve just bought one of these off eBay. Seems in excellent condition, although I’m going to get it serviced. I already have an overlocker and a really good sewing machine; but grappling with two machines is an absolute pain! I remember the Combi machines being on sale years ago; but didn’t buy it because I wanted a Bernina. Then recently I happened to see a video online about the Combi, and thought ‘I WANT ONE OF THOSE!’, so I put in a saved search and waited... I believe they’re quite rare as they never really caught on, but they are out there! I’m glad you’ve had such a good experience with yours.

misschris

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 06:27:03 AM »
My Combi is the only machine I regret selling. I've had many machines come and go, (and many stay!) but that's the one that I'm sorry I sold. One day.........

MissMagpie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 13:42:53 PM »
My Combi is the only machine I regret selling. I've had many machines come and go, (and many stay!) but that's the one that I'm sorry I sold. One day.........

If you really want one, you could always put a saved search on eBay (which I how I found mine). You probably wouldn’t have to wait more than a few weeks. Most sellers will ship them, although they cost about £30 to post within the UK via ParcelForce.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:18:02 AM »
Unless you are really lucky they are getting quite expensive now.  The only one I've seen reasonable recently wanted a good clean and oil (and I cannot remember how much they wanted for it).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

MissMagpie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 15:51:45 PM »
I paid £180 + delivery for mine just recently, which is in great condition. I didn’t think that was bad. I have seen them sell for a similar price, and for almost twice as much. Maybe if enough people want them, Janome will revive the idea! :-D

MissMagpie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 21:53:44 PM »
Hello again Combi fans...

The Combi DX I purchased recently is in overall excellent condition, but it's missing the overlocker rolled hemming foot (NOT the standard sewing machine rolled hem foot) that would originally have come with it. I've tried just about everywhere, but with no success so far.

If any Combi owner happens to be reading this and has an overlocker rolled hemming foot for the machine that you don't use and would be willing to sell, could you message me, please? I'd pay a decent price for it! :-)

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:55 AM »
Presumably you have tried the Janome spares department.  Other suggestion is to start ringing around any of the old fashioned bricks and mortar shops and ask if they are likely to have the foot you require tucked away in their workshop - you never now - some of these old places have hidden gems that only come to light when asked for. 

A long time ago I visited such a shop wanting some specific bobbins (the flat topped Bernina ones with BB on them) for a straight stitch Cosson machine - that was all.  Well the owner of the shop had parts of an old car on his workbench at the back of the shop and on talking with me he suddenly disappeared into another part of the shop and came back with boxes of old Singer attachments, and literally gave them to me for free - his comment was that he didn't think I would be able to use them let alone find out what they were.  Well I proved him wrong and managed to find a super booklet that Singers produced for schools and in this there were diagrams showing how to use all these wonderful little gems - I only parted with them in recent years - they went to a charity that refurbishes machines and sends these to East Africa.

So you never know, you can but ask in these types of shops, you may strike gold.  Start with combing the Yellow Pages for Sewing machine shops and ring around.

Otherwise I would go back to the original owner of this machine and say it is not as described as that part of the machine will not work without the foot.  Disappointing I know but again I presume you wanted this particular machine to be able to sew and also overlock and thus save space.

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 14:38:12 PM »
Further to my earlier reply, Theobald's sewing machine and servicing used to be in Luton and other places around that sort of area, however he moved himself down to Weymouth in Dorset.  Now he is really old school, so you may just be lucky if you can contact him to see if he could possibly have the foot you require - you have nothing to lose but plenty to gain - good luck.

MissMagpie

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 16:12:45 PM »
Thank you! I have been doing what you suggest; but I’ll see if I can track down Theobold’s. You never know!

Just to clarify, I DO have the standard overlocker foot with the machine, and I can overlock with it—so no need to return it!

But it is supposed to have an additional overlocker foot, for doing a rolled hem. This is one I don’t have. I’m hoping that someone who has the machine, but doesn’t use the rolled hemming function, might just be willing to sell me the spare foot...

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
I had no ides this type of machine existed. I's love to see a picture.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »
What about having a look at this @MissMagpie  and if they have the foot, see if you can buy off them separately?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/arts-crafts/heavy-duty-new-home-combi-dx-sewing-and-overlock-machine/1376004773
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 13:04:00 PM »
Been killing time before I move my butt again.  It's not this one is it, looks funny for the sewing machine end.

https://www.sewingparts.co.uk/machines/clip-on6/janome-combi-dx-502.html

MissMagpie

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 18:17:38 PM »
What about having a look at this @MissMagpie  and if they have the foot, see if you can buy off them separately?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/arts-crafts/heavy-duty-new-home-combi-dx-sewing-and-overlock-machine/1376004773

I think one of us must by be psychic—because I found this too, and that is exactly what I did.... and yay, the seller agreed!!!

SheSparkles

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 16:00:20 PM »
I have my late mum’s Combi Dx, but it has the New Home badge. She bought it in 1991 to make my wedding dress and bridesmaids’ dresses. It’s an amazing machine, and she had so many hours of sewing  pleasure with it