The Sewing Place

I need help with a technique

Lowena

I need help with a technique
« on: February 24, 2020, 13:34:55 PM »
Even the new,more positive me has hit a brick wall.
Whatever I read,try,practise or am told....I simply cannot square up blocks!!
It's ok if the Blocks are bigger than the ruler and bigger than they need to be,but,what if the edges are not parallel,even,smaller than the square ruler....what then???
Please how can I square up blocks easily???
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: I need help with a technique
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 15:05:55 PM »
I don't know that there is an easy way.  When I trim the first two adjacent sides I pay particular attention to the seam lines of the piecing and try and get the ruler so that the seam lines are in line with the lines on the ruler and that includes edges of triangles which I try to line up with the 45 degree line on the ruler.  It's always a compromise and I do a lot of wiggling to get the closest I can.  Then I trim the first two sides.  I've done those two then it's easy enough to get the square. 
The braid blocks that I did for my last quilt were a nightmare to square and at one point I thought a couple were going to defeat me.  I think the more triangles / diagonals there are in a block, the more out of square it is going to be.  Only I know that the seams don't quite match in a couple of places on that quilt where I joined those blocks.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 17:24:06 PM »
If the blocks (before trimming) are coming up small then you need to pay attention to the seam allowances and make them all a smidgin smaller, ie scant 1/4 inch rather than a generous 1/4 inch.

Then as Plosh says get the seam lines parallel with the lines on the ruler, trim two opposite sides and then trim the other two sides.

If you have HSTs, or any other design with diagonal seams use the 45 degree line on your ruler and get that positioned over the diagonal seam so that the edge of the ruler is just inside the cut edges and trim that edge then work around the square, again using the 45 degree line when you can.

It's just practice to not let the ruler slip as you cut.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 18:45:49 PM »
Oh Good Grief,  Lowena ... Get yourself Here and I will give you a masterclass ...

Im squaring up blocks as I piece these days and find it, not only therapeutic, but brilliant ...

Hie yourself Dorsetwards and I will sort you out!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 19:02:19 PM »
There are several tutorials on You tube @Lowena . Here is one that might help.

https://youtu.be/Q1ACAuaAVwE

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 21:01:32 PM »
Thanks girls.@Sheilago I watched it but it still made no sense to me. My blocks always have wonky seams and are often smaller than the ruler in places.
I often can't make head or tail of YouTube videos  :|
If I try to do a scant seam @BrendaP I find the stitches don't catch all the way along and I get holes.
I think my cutting needs to be more accurate :|

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 21:10:53 PM »
Hi @Lowena. Do you mean that your blocks are smaller than they are supposed to be? It is quite possible to square a 6”x6” block, for example, using a 9.5” square ruler.
If your blocks are turning out smaller than they should be, it probably is your cutting. Do you use a ruler and rotary cutter? Usually that helps to keep things accurate-ish.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 21:16:17 PM »
I think my cutting needs to be more accurate :|
I thought you used dies for cutting.  Are they not accurate?

If I try to do a scant seam @BrendaP I find the stitches don't catch all the way along and I get holes.

Are you saying that if you try to sew closer to the edge of the fabric it goes wonky?
If so there are two possible solutions that I can think of.
1, Get yourself a nice, straight stitch   :vintage: with a narrow foot and use that.
2, Use your modern machine with its wide foot positioned where you want that foot to be and then move the needle so that it is closer to the edge of the fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 07:45:23 AM »
@Lowena I was making long skinny blocks a couple of weeks ago and when I pieced them they were like bananas!  :[ I thought my cutting was accurate but turns out not accurate enough. If you're using dies that shouldn't be a problem for you.

I also realised that as I got to the end of a seam my machine kind of tailed off squinty wise (sorry for the technical terminology) so I had to keep an eye on my accuracy there too.

I was trying to square up a 6.5" block with a 12.5 " ruler yesterday and I took my time and lined up everything I could including the centre and it worked ok.  :) When I tried to square up a 2.5" square with my tiny ruler it was a nightmare as it keep pivoting on the bump where all the seams met in the middle.  :S

Patience is the key. (I'm working on mine...)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
If you are sewing lots of narrow strips together you shoud sew some in one direction and some in the opposite direction.  This is because the two layers of fabric move through the machine at slightly different rates - the feed dogs pull the lower layer slightly faster although a walking foot or IDT system helps to overcome the problem.

In dressmaking this effect can be used to advantage if one piece needs to be eased to the other piece by having the longer piece at the bottom.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
You can only use dies if you want that exact shape and size @BrendaP and @wrenkins

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
@BrendaP it wasn't even that complicated!  :[ I was sewing a strip of square, three rectangles, square and ta dah...banana!

@Lowena in that case take your time over every cut and make sure the lines on your ruler are oriented in the same place every time on or near the edge of your fabric. The lines on some of the rulers are quite thick and miniscule differences will add up when you're doing lots of seams.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
Also on longer strips take care to sew UP one side and DOWN the other, this stops the bananaing.

Button Nose

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »
^ That's a great hint & tip  :)

Would starching the fabric help? I haven't tried it but wonder if it would make the cut fabric more sturdy.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »
Starching helps a lot, especially when you have a block with a lot of seams.