The Sewing Place

Any weavers here?

BriarRose

Any weavers here?
« on: February 25, 2020, 17:58:25 PM »
Just curious as to whether there are any weavers in this group. My main looms are a Navajo loom and a variety of smaller frame and notch looms. I have a floor loom but haven't used it yet (it was a gift).
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Celia

Re: Any weavers here?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 18:14:21 PM »
I have a small Ashford ridged heddle loom but I have not used it for about 2 years due to getting a new kitten, now cat

BriarRose

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 18:49:46 PM »
Oh, the challenges of kitty cats and anything involving thread!  :meow: I have five and have to secure the premises when the thread and yarn-related projects come out. I once observed Her Meowjesty sprawled on her side with one paw tucked in a small opening in my work bag, trying to snag a ball of pearl cotton to play with.

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 20:04:03 PM »
I do card weaving with either a homemade inkle loom, or a backstrap loom. "DO" is a rather loose term here. Mostly I play at it and get mad at all the mistakes. I did at one point make suspenders for my child's pants, which were very cute. I also wove a strap to upgrade the backstrap loom. That may be a complete list of finished products.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 20:50:38 PM »
@WendyW   I assume you do know that both suspenders and pants are items of underwear in UK.   :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WendyW

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 21:21:06 PM »
@WendyW   I assume you do know that both suspenders and pants are items of underwear in UK.   :ninja:

:| I know "pants" is but I didn't think about it when I wrote this. What are British "suspenders"? 

I'll try again:  I did at one point make braces for my child's trousers. 

Is that correct @BrendaP ?

In the US, "braces" go on crooked teeth, not on trousers.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 22:59:00 PM »
....suspenders... to hold up your stockings.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 00:37:48 AM »
Yes, Efemera's right.

Suspenders hold stockings up.
Braces hold trousers/dungarees up and a brace straightens crooked teeth.

Pants are worn underneath trousers
A vest is worn underneath a shirt (or under a sweater or dress)

A sleevless jacket is a waistcoat, or occasionally a jerkin.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BriarRose

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 03:30:10 AM »
I hope everyone will forgive my linguistic foibles in advance. I was raised in Texas so English is not my first language. ;)
I was going to write "linguistic slips" but decided to not mention any more unmentionables.)

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 07:01:20 AM »
My handmaiden Tam uses galluses to hold up his breeks!  0_0
https://www.lexico.com/definition/galluses
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:54 AM »
Welcome to TSP, @BriarRose. A friend of mine is an avid weaver and owns several looms. I casually mentioned I’d like to have a go at weaving so she set about teaching me to prepare the warp threads, warp up the loom (actually she did this for me) and gave me some lessons. Her retired builder husband erected a massive 2 car/truck garage and built her a fibre studio above. It doubles as guest quarters so when I visit I sleep amongst the looms and cones of yarn plus all her gizmos and gadgets. She has a small 8-shaft loom in her house that folds up and takes up very little space. I would like something along these lines but I have too many other fibre interests and don’t partake in those nearly enough so I doubt I will invest. I know from my friend how absorbing it is. Enjoy the floor loom. What a gift!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:57:27 AM by Puzzler »

Michelle

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
Hi, I've just joined.  I'm a weaver; I completed my degree in woven textiles in 1998 (I used Jacquard and table looms).  My dissertation was about Navajo woven textiles.  I now have a tapestry loom and I'm currently rekindling my love for weaving.  Today I just received a drop spindle and I'm going to attempt spinning yarn.  It's great to hear from you  0_0

coffeeandcake

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 13:37:36 PM »
I was raised in Texas so English is not my first language. ;)

0_0 0_0 0_0
Having lived in Texas I might agree y'all  :)

BriarRose

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 20:42:19 PM »
Hi, I've just joined.  I'm a weaver; I completed my degree in woven textiles in 1998 (I used Jacquard and table looms).  My dissertation was about Navajo woven textiles.  I now have a tapestry loom and I'm currently rekindling my love for weaving.  Today I just received a drop spindle and I'm going to attempt spinning yarn.  It's great to hear from you  0_0

Very cool! I don't suppose the dissertation is available online somewhere? I am signed up for an intensive 4-day Navajo weaving workshop in New Mexico this spring. Can hardly wait- had to sign up a full year in advance to get a seat.

In about twenty minutes, I am off to teach a beginning weaving class at the local college. My husband made the notch looms out of alder and I am looking forward to having his work properly admired. He's making the batch for the next session out of cherry.

My floor loom looks much like the one above, except not all pretty and shiny.

Michelle

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 07:09:14 AM »
Hi, sorry I haven't replied sooner but I didn't see your reply. I'm new to this site and slowly working out how to use it. Unfortunately I no longer have a copy of my dissertation. My research was about the influence of traditional weaving customs, legends and the impact of the introduction of the train line. I recently discovered that  Welsh quilts were an inspiration.
I've been practicing spinning; still a long way to go but I'm enjoying it, and would love to own a spinning wheel.