The Sewing Place

Trouser Block with Alice Prier

charlotte

Trouser Block with Alice Prier
« on: May 03, 2017, 13:10:45 PM »
...at Ray Stitch in London. I'm going on June 4th. Hopefully I will be coming away with a beautifully fitted trouser block to make all the trousers with!

UttaRetch

Re: Trouser Block with Alice Prier
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 13:23:46 PM »
I would be interested to learn how this turns out.  I have no hope of being able to make trousers, although I don't find them particularly comfortable.

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
I did this class on Sunday and it was brilliant! We used a drafting method by Anastasia Vouyouska and drafted straight onto calico so that we could cut out and sew up to fit. As soon as I got home I just cut around my drafting lines and traced my block onto paper.

Alice was brilliant. She explained how to draft with this method, fitted everyone's toiles and then went through how to make design adjustments to the block using mini pattern pieces, scissors and pencils so we had lots of bit to take home!

She had the Anastasia Vouyouska books and stencils for sale, which I am thinking about buying. Everyone in the class (5 of us) had very well fitting toiles at the end, so I think that's a good indication that it works! I am not sure how well I would do just following the written instructions without a teacher to guide me through it though.

Maximum

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 22:32:11 PM »
Thank you for the feedback and glad it was so successful for you.
If you drafted onto calico and stitched, did you have to unpick to get your block and set your grainlines?

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 15:42:32 PM »
Yes, we did have to unpick to get the block. I just snipped it up once I got home and drew round it. Not sure what setting the grainlines is (I've only just starting learning about pattern drafting), but we marked all the grainlines and construction lines on the calico so I could easily transfer these onto my paper block. I remeasured all the construction lines from my notes but because the calico is so stable they pretty much all matched up.

I have cut out my first pair of trousers so that will be the real test!

Morgan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 16:45:27 PM »
Charlotte, if you're interested A.V. is involved with teaching with eTelestia

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 14:40:46 PM »
Yes, eTelestia is the online teaching of her method. There's also a CAD version available. I don't have the time or budget to do anything like that, but I have been looking at it!

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 15:11:38 PM »
I did this course with Dawn Foxall as the tutor and I found it excellent despite having no experience of pattern cutting.  I am just finishing trousers made from the block and the fit is much better than any other trousers I have made.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 16:26:41 PM »
Charlotte, if you're interested A.V. is involved with teaching with eTelestia
The trouser course on its own is approx. £130  which probably isn't bad if the alternative would have to include travel and accommodation costs.
Assuming the course is worth the cost.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
It sounds as if Alice Prier and Dawn Foxall, although teaching the same class, have slightly different ways of using AV's method as in the class I attended we drafted onto paper and then cut out the toile adding on a 3/8ths seam allowance.

I have done other trouser fitting classes including the Palmer Pletsch method but found this to be the best.  I believe RayStitch are hoping to arrange a follow-up but no dates have been fixed as yet.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sewingforfun

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
I saw this thread and  have dithering about doing the course at RayStitch. I've had the window open on my computer for several days. I finally thought it's silly not to, as it's something I really want to do and have the day free. I refreshed the window to book just now and they had dropped the price for this Sunday's class (19th) by 20% to £98!! Anyone fancy coming with me??
Carol xx
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.