The Sewing Place

Working with 2oz polyester material

Simon

Working with 2oz polyester material
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
I’m currently making a lining for a marquee with a polyester material.
This tent has a hexagon shaped end. This is made up of various scalene triangle shapes.
For example-  4.6m x 4.3m x 1.51m. The 1.51m edge gets pleated reducing this to 0.77m. All the other sides get sewn together.
My questions
1.  These shapes have a salvaged edge and a cut edge on the diagonal.  How can I stop the diagonal edge stretching?
2. When cutting the shape, I cut the 1.51m edge on a curve so when pleated the two long sides stay the same length. Does this sound right?
3. When the various sized scalene triangles are put together I end up with a triangle 4.6m x 4.6m x 4.5m(pleated edge). Should my salvaged edge becoming down the vertex seem or the centre seem?

b15erk

Re: Working with 2oz polyester material
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:07 PM »
Your selvedge should be stabilised due to it being the edge of the fabric.  The diagonal edge could be stabilised with a strip of iron on stabiliser, you could also overlock the edge if you have access to an overlocker/serger, being careful not to pull on the fabric.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 13:24:03 PM »
Or stitch a length of tape along the bias edge...taking care not to stretch it.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 17:30:22 PM »
This tent has a hexagon shaped end. This is made up of various scalene triangle shapes.
Do you really mean a hexagon end? or is it a pentagon shape at the end; parallel to the ground at the bottom, two vertical  'walls' and two diagonals for the 'roof' ?

1.  These shapes have a salvaged edge and a cut edge on the diagonal.  How can I stop the diagonal edge stretching?
Overlocking will stop the diagonal cut edges from fraying but won't be very effective in stopping it from stretching.  A line of straight stitching (inside the seam allowance) and/or stabilising tape is what you need to stop any stretching.

2. When cutting the shape, I cut the 1.51m edge on a curve so when pleated the two long sides stay the same length. Does this sound right?
I'm finding it hard to visualise what you mean, but usually when you have pleats that are not at exactly 90 degrees to the cut edge you have a series of zig-zags in the cut edge so that when the pleats are in place the edge will be straight.

3. When the various sized scalene triangles are put together I end up with a triangle 4.6m x 4.6m x 4.5m(pleated edge). Should my salvaged edge becoming down the vertex seem or the centre seem?
I would have the fabric 'on-grain' so that the selvedge edges are perpendicular in the centre of the triangle - if there is a centre seam.  If not have the selvedges horizontal and thus parallel to the ground.

Also it is best not to include the selvedges in project like this.  Selvedges are woven more firmly than than the rest of the fabric, and although polyester doesn't usually shrink/stretch much it is quite possible that when exposed to weather those selvedges will behave differently to the buk of the fabric and the seams will end up skewiff.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Simon

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 09:00:56 AM »
I’m currently making a lining for a marquee with a polyester material.
For example-  4.6m x 4.3m x 1.51m. The 1.51m edge gets pleated reducing this to 0.77m. All the other sides get sewn together.
My questions

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
Same answers as for the previous thread on making the outer shell of the marquee
https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,9484.msg160619.html#msg160619
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
I've merged the two topics, which is why the question appears twice!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.