The Sewing Place

Self Patterning Yarns

Ploshkin

Self Patterning Yarns
« on: March 10, 2020, 13:43:49 PM »
I don't really get self patterning yarns - I don't see how the pattern can possibly come out right unless you are knitting a very specific size with the correct tension.  Patterns designed for those yarns come in multi sizes but surely if you do a bigger or smaller size the colour pattern won't come out as shown.  I had a self patterning yarn for a pair of socks and the dark colour, which was supposed to make diagonal stripes on the light background colour, didn't.  It came out as little random blobs.
I find it a bit annoying that most multi coloured yarns available these days are self patterning when I just want something that will give a random variation in colour.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

Re: Self Patterning Yarns
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 14:05:57 PM »
I've had mixed results.  I used Sirdar Crofter, which gives a fairisle-ish result and it was great.  But when I made a baby cardigan from a more definitely patterned yarn it was a nightmare.

This is the cardigan: 

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I made the back and front all in one (not as per the pattern) which wasn't too bad, but then I had to work so hard to get the stripes to balance above the armholes and in the hood that I would never touch the stuff again.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 15:48:32 PM »
I too loath self patterning yarns, too much faff to get the stripes right and a horrendous effect if you don't..

Mind you I made socks from WYS self patterning wool and the stripes were fine. I must just have the correct sized foot :D

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 15:50:05 PM »
I think they look lovely in the ball but a bit disappointing when they’re knit up

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 19:23:15 PM »
I'm glad it's not just me.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 22:06:33 PM »
I like them. But I can't knit worth $%#@ so it hardly matters. But isn't the concept lovely?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »
My mum knit a waistcoat many years ago and I seem to remember a lot of messing about with two balls of wool to get thicker stripes across the body. Raglan sleeves are a no-no of course!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »
Those yarns always look so nice in the ball, but unless you're knitting a straight scarf they can be a nightmare to get looking good in the finished item.  @Acorn you did a really good job of getting it all symetrical.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
I have used them for knitting socks and love the effect you can get, does depend on the make of yarn though

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 18:56:17 PM »
unless you're knitting a straight scarf
That's why I don't get them.  Even with a straight scarf surely you need a multiple of a specific number of stitches for the colours to fall in the right place on each row to form the pattern.

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 19:05:23 PM »
And even with a specific number of stitches, there's still the fact that people don't all knit to the same tension.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
These were the socks I did, which promptly put me off self patterning yarn.  The pattern came free with the yarn, so it was the right yarn for the pattern and I knitted the  middle size.  The purple bits in the light stripes should be diagonal bars I think but they are just random blobby bits.  It doesn't matter on my socks but I would have been mightily miffed  if I'd got half a dozen balls for a larger garment.