The Sewing Place

Looking for 50mm wide knit elastic with really soft easy stretch

Marniesews

Looking for 50mm wide knit elastic with really soft easy stretch
« on: February 28, 2020, 16:04:35 PM »
I'm making lycra covered elastic dance belts and wanting to make one belt to cover two sizes – they're being rhinestoned so this makes it more economical for me. The 30mm and below knits are absolutely fine but the 50mm is much firmer (not surprisingly) and I just accepted that until I removed some from a ballroom skirt made by a Coventry dancewear company. I've had a few different ones from eBay to Empress Mills but none of them are as stretchy as a piece I took out of a commercial dance skirt waistband.

Any suggestions? Actually any tips on how to relax the stretch of what I've already got would be of interest too!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 16:29:28 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbusy

Re: Looking for 50mm wide knit elastic with really soft easy stretch
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 00:35:13 AM »
Look for plush back waistband elastic often used for men's underpants and great for pyjama pants.

I have this which may be what you need, 50mm wide. O  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  nly have white/navy or navy/white but if it's to be covered then I'm sure it will work for you.

@b15erk has had some and she finds it very good.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:21:50 AM »
The Sewing Chest do a lot of different elastics.  Currently the only 50mm one is this, but not sure how soft it is.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 14:41:45 PM »
I've been nose to the grindstone and found an unfinished reply to your suggestions!

So...sorry for the delay and thanks for the suggestions. I've added a sample metre to my existing Sewing Chest order @BrendaP and I think you have a good point about the plush back elastic @Sewbusy. I had some in a wide nude and that was a softer stretch but had a scalloped edge. I'll keep an eye out from now on though as it tends to be a bit on the ground.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.