The Sewing Place

Buttonhole gauge

Lilian

Buttonhole gauge
« on: February 28, 2020, 23:24:22 PM »
I found this during browsing and wondered if anyone has used one. It looks very accurate  :)

buttonhole gauge
Willing but not always able :)

toileandtrouble

Re: Buttonhole gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 23:40:30 PM »
It is very good. I use mine for pleats as well as buttonholes, In fact anything that needs to be evenly spaced.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
Keep meaning to get one as it would be so useful. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 13:51:52 PM »
I bought mine at a Knitting & stitching show a couple of years ago, but have yet to use it.  The Lutterloh demonstrators always bring some for sale as they use the spacer in their overall system.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 23:21:11 PM »
I've got one and it would have been very useful this month for the Shirt competition! If only I could find where it is lurking.
Of course if I buy another one it will make it's presence known. Just like the loop turner, of which I now have two.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 02:05:53 AM »
Beware! The one I bought, from the nice lutherloh person is utter garbage. The old ones are great. Often a sort of blued steel with brass at the hinges. New ones are aluminum and too tight to work. I was told you need to open them repeatedly to loosen the hinges up. Hundreds if not thousands of times, not good. When it is expanded they aren't even.

Find an old one. They cost about the same and they work
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
Just ordered one.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 00:20:39 AM »
I have one and absolutely love it.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:35 AM »
I have three of them.  One in my workshop, one in my fitting room and one at home.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
The instructions say something about check the points are evenly spaced and use a ruler - I thought the idea was it did all that for you?  Other wise you may just as well use a ruler anyway... :S

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 07:44:01 AM »
Ive got one and find it very useful - especially for blouse/shirt front buttonhole positioning.
Annieeg

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I have now used mine for the first time. I think when it says use a ruler, it means, for instance, if you have a specific distance between that you want, e.g. 5cm, you use the ruler to check that the first one is correct and then the others follow without you having to work them out. If, on the other hand you can judge the spacing you want by eye, you don't need the ruler. Glad I bought it.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »
Thanks, @Greybird , that's good to know. 

Now, do I need one?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »
@Greybird I'd double check it. Mine was not at all accurate. Actually it was a total waste of money. Very disappointing.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 11:21:29 AM »
@Renegade Sewist sorry to hear yours was a disappointment. Mine worked perfectly so I am pleased with it.