The Sewing Place

Official Stash Sewalong Competition

Francesca

Official Stash Sewalong Competition
« on: March 01, 2017, 22:51:09 PM »
Hello everyone and welcome to our inaugural Stash Sewalong Competition!

Introduction
This competition is aiming to get everyone sewing from their stash. You must use stash only fabric for the majority of your creation.

Dates
The competition will run from Monday 13th March - Wednesday 12th April. You have until 23.59 on the 12th to complete. 

Rules
  • Your item must use stash fabric! We ask that 90% of your item be sewn from stash fabric with the exception of linings. You can purchase zips, buttons, bindings, interlinings and linings. Use your own judgement when it comes to the 90% rule.
  • Stash fabrics are fabrics that have sat in the stash for at least three months
  • You MUST NOT cut your fabric until the 13th March. You can only wash it, dry it, prepare patterns etc. You cannot cut your fabric.
  • You must post at least 5 times in this thread to qualify. Please be involved and post updates!
  • You must submit at least three pictures; one of your uncut fabric, one of mid-construction, and one of the completed item.

How To Enter
Entries should be submitted by email to sewalongs@thesewingplace.org.uk with the subject Stash Sewalong.

Copy the following and fill it out:

Username:
Number of items to enter:
A short title and blurb about each item, no more than 150 words:
Number of metres used (per item and a total):
Attach three images as stated in the rules*

*If you have lots of images to share, send them in separate emails. Just write "1 of 3" etc in the subject line, or zip them up. Or use WeTransfer.  We strongly encourage if you have sewn a garment that you wear it or get someone else to model it for you. This is the main photo that people will judge you on and people really like to see others wearing garments, it looks a million times better than something hanging sorrily on a hanger! People are far less likely to be as critical of your body as you are, so please please please do consider modelling garments! These pictures will be posted in our gallery, on the voting page, and the winner's thread. If you have made a complete outfit with multiple garments, you can wear them together in one pic. Just state it in the email.

How To Win
Winners will be chosen by public vote.

Prizes
Yep, the most important bit...

First Prize
Your choice of:
  • £15 FabricGodmother.co.uk voucher
  • £15 Amazon voucher
  • £15 coffee shop voucher for your choice of Caffe Nero, Costa, or Starbucks
Runner Up Prize
As above, but with a £5 value

-----------------

OK then, let's get chatting! You can start planning from now :D I'm excited!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:16:12 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

Re: Official Stash Sewalong Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 22:51:25 PM »
FAQ

What is considered a stash fabric?
Something you bought or came into possession of more than three months ago.

Can I use fabric from my business?
You can use fabric from your business as long as it wasn't purchased specifically for a client or order.

Can I sew anything?
Yes, this is not just a garment competition.

How many things should I sew?
Just one, at least. But you can sew more. Maybe a whole outfit, a selection of cushions... bear in mind this is member vote so a quick tea towel might not be the most inspiring project to garner votes!

What can I do before the 13th?
Only washing and drying fabric, preparing patterns, purchasing notions. You can sew a toile before the start date.

Do the rules of the sew a long allow us to ask for help on the forum?
Absolutely! Please don't be quiet!

How do we put the Official Sewalong banner on our profile?
Copy the following code:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,95.0.html][img]http://thesewingplace.org.uk/banners/stashsewalong.jpg[/img][/url]
Is there's a limit to how many items we can include?
There is no limit, but all items will come under one "entry" to be voted for.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 19:42:58 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
*tumbleweed rolls by*

Come on everyone! Get planning!  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Got my white stash box out this morning, but didn't have time to check out patterns.  I like the way you've laid things out Fran, it leaves time for me to organise myself!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
I was planning to do the White competition May/June if you want to hold on to your white fabric for that... but white items welcome in this competition too of course! The plan is to sew several items if you can :)

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
Sorry Fran, I've obviously not read things properly (I'm doing VAT work at the same time!).

I've got plenty more fabric, so I'll just join in with whatever is happening!  :D

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Samantha

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
I'm not sure how many things I will actually make in a month - my average is .5  0_0 

I will give it a go though. I do have plans to make some new cushions from some lovely woodland material I've had for *a while* and my two young girls are always looking at my fabrics and saying 'can you make me such and such from this' so maybe I actually will! Have to be quick simple things though otherwise it won't be much of a stash buster!

Swisslass

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 13:01:02 PM »
I'm in - though I'll only have the first three weeks to sew as I'll be back in the uk for easter to stoke my stash, pick up my new  :sew: and drive the Bernina dealer to drink on my intro course.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

mittens

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 13:07:44 PM »
Hi Fran, can we sew anything? Or is it an item of clothing?  0_0
I can't see if I'm supposed to make a certain item. Don't want to a wedding dress is a mini skirt is what's required! Not that I can make a wedding dress, may struggle with a mini skirt!  :sew:

Mama likes to make

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 13:19:43 PM »
Oooh must get thinking. Is there any requirement on the length of tie the fabric must be in stash for?
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 13:21:48 PM »
Does anyone mind if I take part... I do sew for a living. Mostly soft furnishing, curtains blinds but in a past life I made wedding dresses....I'm happy to just sew along and not enter the actual competition... mind you if I get to busy it might not happen at all
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 13:32:09 PM »
Hi Fran, can we sew anything? Or is it an item of clothing?  0_0
I can't see if I'm supposed to make a certain item. Don't want to a wedding dress is a mini skirt is what's required! Not that I can make a wedding dress, may struggle with a mini skirt!  :sew:

Anything! And as many things as you can, if you choose to take on multiple projects. The only qualifier is they must be majority stash fabric.

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 13:33:08 PM »
Does anyone mind if I take part... I do sew for a living. Mostly soft furnishing, curtains blinds but in a past life I made wedding dresses....I'm happy to just sew along and not enter the actual competition... mind you if I get to busy it might not happen at all

More than welcome. I would say in your case it needs to be from personal stash rather than fabric bought for a client specifically.

Vegegrow

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 13:40:04 PM »
More than welcome. I would say in your case it needs to be from personal stash rather than fabric bought for a client specifically.
Thank you Fran
That's fine I have a huge stash (I worked in a fabric shop for 15+ years) I wouldn't ever post pics of a clients order as they don't belong to me.
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

mittens

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 13:41:21 PM »
Thanks Fran , hubby will be pleased if I actually make something from the stash instead of keep adding to it!  0_0