The Sewing Place

March's BOM - Courthouse steps

Acorn

Re: March's BOM
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 19:35:56 PM »
I think you're doing mine as well, @Lowena  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 20:16:14 PM »
Only if you like rainbows @Acorn  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »
No work today so thought I’d set to the BOM, having spent most of Sunday overthinking it.  Well, my sewing machine has other ideas.  I think it’s protesting after a weekend of sewing at the retreat and six hours at the sewing day this weekend.  It’s going for a service tomorrow.

I do have 1 1/4 inch strips and a plan.  (Of course I’m doing the mini Version.)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 15:58:52 PM by Pearl »

LouiseS

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 16:07:49 PM »
I wasn’t brave enough to try the mini version but maybe later in the month I will give it a go.

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 17:41:05 PM »
Verrrrry nice Girls ... you're giving me inspiration to carry on ...

Next months is done (already!!) and rather nice, if I say so myself, Moving onward from strips!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 18:36:47 PM »
I had a go at the mini version this afternoon. Thought I knew what I was doing! Ha! Went charging ahead and realised I'd sewed too many strips around each block, so there's going to be some unpicking tomorrow. I'm usually good at reading instructions but obviously this time I didn't look closely enough. ><
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sheilago

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 21:36:39 PM »
Can’t decide on mini or big block. I was thinking that the big block would go better with the January log cabin, but the mini ones would be more of a challenge  :[

You are all so fast, although I’ve been a bit obsessed with my Project Linus quilt.  Yes, I know there’s no rush, but once I start I’m always keen to get on and see how the blocks look together. I have all the PL blocks and sashing done now, so should have time for this soon. :D

Kenora

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 21:41:26 PM »
Can’t decide on mini or big block. I was thinking that the big block would go better with the January log cabin, but the mini ones would be more of a challenge  :[

Those were my thoughts exactly @Sheilago but I've made courthouse steps quilts before so I thought I'd have a go at the mini ones. They're more interesting but I tripped myself up. :S

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 23:03:23 PM »
I have just read through the tut and what a clever way to square off before opening  :) I didn't expect that, thanks @Iminei.  As a relative newbie to P&Q I not yet made a courthouse steps block but always admired them, they look clean a neat. Can't wait to start this month  :vintage: :)
Willing but not always able :)

WendyW

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 01:33:47 AM »
Just finished mine. As last month, I did one with each of my solid colors, and decided to do one each of the sizes. I've never done courthouse steps before, and didn't like the look of the block with some full "diamonds" and some halves, so I changed it up a bit. I really do like the pillow @Iminei  posted so apparently it is one of those blocks that is best shown off in multiples, not singulars.  I did much better with my scant 1/4" this time. My blocks came out just a shave too big- just enough to trim off a few threads on each edge.

BOM 2020 Mar by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:39:21 AM by WendyW »

Iminei

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »
That is lovely @WendyW .... I wish I had laid out my foursome like that!  ><
Do you want a job?!

Yes, that cushion cover is smashing isn't it ... I think you'd have to start from the centre out and keep a close eye on your colour placement ...

and it will only work with high contrast colours ... I tried a small bit with the B&W theme and it really doesn't work :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kenora

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
Ooh thank you for posting your photos @WendyW  :flower: My blocks have come out exactly the same as yours but I thought they were wrong. Now I don't have to unpick them - I can use your layout. Result!  :)

WendyW

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 14:09:14 PM »
If anyone else wants to try my alternative for the small blocks, I suggest making the center square at  1.75" instead of  2". My last layer of each color ended up just enough narrower to be visibly smaller, though the casual observer would probably never notice.

Sheilago

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 16:14:45 PM »
Probably a silly question @Iminei , but I am just working on the March block and it is going to be 12.5” without sashing, whereas the Feb block was 9.5” without sashing. Are the blocks going to be the same size as each other to make into a quilt or are these blocks intended as tutorials on the individual block type and then it’s up to us to adjust sizing if we want to make them into a quilt?
I’m just wondering whether to add extra coloured strips to my Feb block to make it 12.5” without sashing.  -<

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 16:18:35 PM »
Mine are all 14" without sashing @Sheilago and I kept measuring  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D