The Sewing Place

March's BOM - Courthouse steps

Sheilago

Re: March's BOM
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 16:39:14 PM »
Here is my first attempt at the big square. I’m trying not to buy new fabric, but I think there’s not enough contrast with these  >:). I like scrappy quilts and try to use as many bits as possible from my left overs box, but I think I might have to buy a few more mid blue fqs. I’ll  have a go at the small ones and try to get more contrast .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 16:47:40 PM by Sheilago »

Kenora

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 17:37:56 PM »
I didn't bother unpicking my blocks as I liked WendyW's layout. I'm quite happy with the finished block although it will require trimming a tiny bit to make it 12 1/2" square. :)
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I'm going to leave the trimming until all the blocks are finished. Then I'll know what I'm aiming for.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Pearl

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 17:49:27 PM »
Gorgeous, Kenora.  I love all of your fabrics.   :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:

Kenora

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 17:52:31 PM »
Thanks @Pearl - the colours in the picture are a bit over-saturated. I used my phone to take the photo. The blue is actually purple but you get the general idea. The final quilt is certainly going to be bright! :)

Sheilago

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 20:41:08 PM »
Oh dear, I’m confused. I don’t think precision cutting tiny blocks is my thing.

@Iminei , I’ve got to the bit when you add a light strip to 2 of the blocks and 2 light strips to the other 2blocks. Before this I had 4 blocks with 2 light and 2 dark strips and they measured 5.5” x 5.5”. I thought once I’d added one strip more to 2 of them, those would then measure 6.5” x 5.5” and the other 2 would be 7.5” x 5.5”, but that doesn’t tie up with what you say. Have I strayed from the path somewhere?  :\

Time to stop for the night , I think! :drink: |O

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 06:23:43 AM »
I am just working on the March block and it is going to be 12.5” without sashing, whereas the Feb block was 9.5” without sashing.

@Sheilago  MY Log cabin block in February worked out to 8 1/2" and I then added a background border as I really couldnt be a*** to go round and round any longer and I had run out of fabrics going darker and lighter    :(

But I did suggest that to make it a FULL size log cabin to keep going! I may yet revisit mine and make it full size!

Now if you want a full size 12" Log cabin, you would continue with TWO more rounds of logs.

For a Full sized 12" block;

Using the traditional method of one Dark fabric, one Light fabric per round ...
You would need to cut FIVE different Fabrics in both Dark and Light.

For a Full sized 12" block;

Using my two different dark fabrics and two different light fabrics per round ...
You would need to cut TEN different fabrics in both Dark and Light.

I, however, am going to stop here and add a 2" border of my chosen background fabric for all this years blocks ...
A lovely woven grey by Pepper Cory fabrics ... its extra wide too!!!

I am trying to get all the blocks to work out at 12 1/2" as far as I can ... but you know me! -<

BYW I dont think your CS blocks has a problem contrast wise at all Sheilago, you have cleverly placed fabrics with least pattern opposite each other and the more patterned fabrics opposite eachother ... I think thats genius and your quilt is going to come out very country chic!

@Kenora ... What can I say ... its gorgeous, the colours are inspirational !!
Could I have a whole pic of the big block too?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:29:56 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2020, 06:50:28 AM »
@Sheilago regarding March's Mini blocks ....

Unfortunately I got carried away making this and forgot to take pics at that point so its perfectly ok to get confused.
This is also the reason the blocks look so shabby from this point on as they have been unpicked from a completed block, so have been rudely manhandled!!!

For the CS to join up in the mini version we need an odd amount of strips ..

Instead of sewing together TWO complete blocks... which would mean having 3 light strips next to 3 light strips which would make a great clumpy mess. (If you imagine the top two blocks in the pic below sewn together you'll see what I mean)

We need to have one middle light strip with two light strips either side ... To achieve this, one of the blocks has to have an uneven amount of strips to the other.

So if you took one of the TOP blocks and sewed it to one of the BOTTOM blocks you will get the desired effect.

As for measurements at the stage shown above ...

The TOP blocks should measure 6 1/2" x 5"
and the BOTTOM blocks should measure 5 3/4" x 5"

Because we have yet to add the DARK strips to the top and bottom of the block which we are adding as continuous lengths instead of two strips after we have joined these ill bred units together!

If you were to make a quilt this way .. well you wouldnt ... this is done this way solely to make one  block of almost 12 1/2" sq.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 16:52:04 PM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
I was peering closely  8) at that beautiful cushion and that's how it is constructed. Veh clever placement.

I'm loving everyone's different versions of this.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sheilago

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2020, 16:47:10 PM »
Thanks @Iminei . I am not used to following instructions as I tend to see things I like online and then just try to copy them. I’ve not learned many short cuts ( like strip piecing) apart from when I’m doing half square triangles and probably do some crazy things when I try to work out myself how to make a block. That’s why it’s been an interesting exercise to do the BOM. I know , from the Bagathon, what a lot of work tutorials are- so thank you! :)

Kenora

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2020, 17:58:15 PM »

@Kenora ...
Could I have a whole pic of the big block too?

@Iminei - did you mean this block?
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I didn't make the large CS as I thought we were able to choose either of them.

WendyW

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2020, 19:43:06 PM »

I didn't make the large CS as I thought we were able to choose either of them.

You are correct. You were to choose one. I'm a chronic overachiever.

Iminei

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2020, 10:29:11 AM »
@Kenora ... No ... a pic of the Single CS would be nice

Kenora

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
@Iminei - see my comment above. I didn't make the large CS as I thought we could choose which one to make. Was I wrong? >:)

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2020, 11:19:20 AM »
Absolutely you can choose, was I looking at your log cabin then in the first pic you posted ..?? let me go look.

I was ... D'OH!  :facepalm:

During the coming months there maybe two different blocks in one month (to get the twelve in) ....
or I might show you two versions of one block (as in this month) ... and its your choice which to make!

Apologies for the crossed wires ... just looooooving your colourway!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:21:07 AM by Iminei »

Kenora

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2020, 11:23:35 AM »
Thanks Iminei - loving the Tut's and taking part. :)