The Sewing Place

March's BOM - Courthouse steps

Acorn

Re: March's BOM
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:05 AM »
Oh dear.  I'll have to go shopping...
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
Yes Girls you DO need a Background fabric, as for most blocks ...

Whether this is a neutral, dark or light is your choice ... I'm using the soft Pepper Cory grey .... but you do need  something that will bring all the blocks together

As for the joining strips ... that may well be your background fabric or maybe just a small print with the background colour as the ground.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
Oh
I am unsure about what colour to have for background/sashing - I was pondering a green background as the centres are green but whatever I have it will have to be bought as mostly I have scraps

I had also thought a sort of dark mustardy colour.
Obviously I need to make my mind up
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 18:15:10 PM by Iminei »
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Acorn

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
I'm thinking green for my background, but as I haven't properly decided on my other colours yet I'm a bit at sea.  I do have some appropriate cream fabric, but I don't think it would work with any of the possible colour schemes.

Hmm.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 14:16:17 PM »
I find the colour choice the hardest part of quilting. :\ And it's made even harder by the fact that I usually have to rely on ordering online - the colours on my laptop screen are just not reliable. I've received some very strange fabrics in the past! This time I stuck to white, which you'd think would be easy - but, no, it's not. There are so many whites. I think I have just enough for a quilt but time will tell. I might be scratching around for a suitable white by the end of the summer, and I definitely don't have enough for all the joining strips. Will have to put my thinking cap on. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Bjay

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 16:31:59 PM »
Oh I do agree. I ordered some dark - I thought black - fabric for these blocks. When it came it was a yukky green. I will try to use it.
I have been looking today online and am wary of ordering fabric for the background in case I have gone for the wrong colour again  :(

Flobear

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 17:37:33 PM »
I imagine there are some website that allow you to order samples, Bjay. That might help while you're unable to go browsing.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bjay

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 18:57:42 PM »
Well I've found a colour I like - a scrap in the stash - no idea where it came from but I will try to match the colour

wrenkins

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2020, 06:48:17 AM »
No such thing as yukky green! Nat right @Lowena0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2020, 08:18:20 AM »
A very, very dark whatever colour fabric actually makes excellent background or border fabric for something with a lot of that particular colour in it ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

this dark sludgy green border (Stonehenge range of fabrics) was the perfect choice for a border for The Village

Edited to include url for correct album!  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:38:55 AM by Iminei »

Sewbee

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
A very, very dark whatever colour fabric actually makes excellent background or border fabric for something with a lot of that particular colour in it ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

this dark sludgy green border (Stonehenge range of fabrics) was the perfect choice for a border for The Village

That is really lovely! Is it part quilted and part appliquéd?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:43:54 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2020, 08:42:15 AM »
Click on the album, on an individual pic and then on the i icon (top right corner) and you should get descriptions up

It started out as a 3D block of the month,
that became a simple fun kiddie cot quilt
that evolved into a tribute for our much missed Vegegrows   :'(

Lots of applique, lots of quilting and The Original Elvis cut his (embroidery) teeth on it!!!

Lowena

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2020, 09:37:45 AM »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lowena

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:45 AM »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bjay

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
That is lovely - I usually love greens but the one that arrived just was not nice.
The picture is lovely.

How much yardage would be needed  for a background for whole fimished quuilting or don't you know yet?