The Sewing Place

Young People and Vintage Machines.

Sewbusy

Young People and Vintage Machines.
« on: March 01, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »
Yesterday I sold a vintage mechanical machine , straight stitch, zigzag facility with just a few stitches built in stitches only.

The buyer was a young man studying at college, textile design or whatever they deign to call these courses now.

it was so nice to find a youngster (no disrespect meant here) so excited about what he can achieve with an older machine, a little thought, vision  and application.

Sadly so many are actively encouraged to buy a modern all singing all dancing computerised machine when there are lots of perfectly useable older machines around which can be purchased at very reasonable prices. Indeed some are even given away for free.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:00:45 AM by Sewbusy »

wrenkins

Re: Young People and Vintage Machines.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
I hope you pointed him towards TSP @sewbusy

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewbusy

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
I hope you pointed him towards TSP @Sewbusy

It's one step at a time with the youngsters.  :)

I've just reminded my eldest that there is far more beautiful and melodious music than what abounds today, , she has learned although I think she was in her 40's before she appreciated that classical music has led to so much that is thought of as 'pop' music.  Eric Carmen's "All by myself" is a prime example.

Sadly neither of my daughters are sewing minded although if you mention Bernina, they know exactly what that means. lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 12:04:04 PM by Sewbusy »

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 12:40:38 PM »
In preparation of the upcoming move to Thailand I sold my Singer 201K. A lady bought it for her 16 year old daughter and sent me a picture of the girl reading the instructions and threading it the next day. It made happy that the machine went to a loving home.

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 03:36:20 AM »
Yesterday I sold a vintage mechanical machine , straight stitch, zigzag facility with just a few stitches built in stitches only.

The buyer was a young man studying at college, textile design or whatever they deign to call these courses now.

it was so nice to find a youngster (no disrespect meant here) so excited about what he can achieve with an older machine a little thought, vision  and application.

Sadly so many are active encouraged to buy an modern all singing all dancing computerised machine when there are lots of perfectly useable older machines around which can be purchased at very reasonable prices. Indeed some are even given away for free.

I posted this on the Happy Thread, but apart from Frances liking it , I think it got missed on there.
It's very heartwarming to see how these vintage machines are still so welcomed no matter what the generation is,
and how much they are appreciated. Have reposted the link on here just in case anyone else would like to read this story.

https://www.theguardian.com/the-women-of-barishal/2020/feb/14/the-tailor-taught-me-how-to-measure-up-and-sew-learning-new-skills-in-barishal

Michelle

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 07:28:39 AM »
My son is 12 and wanted a hand crank sewing machine when he was 10 because I have one and it's beautiful. He is now the proud owner of a 201k singer machine. I have a lot of modern machines, but he loves his vintage one.   :D

Roger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 08:07:30 AM »
I teach my kids to sew (sometimes) on a elna grasshopper with a too loose belt- it stops them over accelerating, its a tiny machine so not daunting and the knee lever is perfect for them because they can use it with their raised chairs... they love it, and they helped me clean it up. :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

MissMagpie

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 17:01:11 PM »
I had a vintage Singer for my 10th birthday (which was a very long time ago). It was perfect for a child, because (a) it was cheap—my father paid £10 for it at auction, which was worth more than it is today but still not a huge sum; (b) it was sturdy, so I wasn’t going to break it; and (c) it wasn’t electric, so I could safely use it unsupervised. While adult supervision is essential some of the time, children also need to be able to exercise their creativity unsupervised some of the time.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 20:14:40 PM »
I started out on my grans old singer treadle machine, I don't know what model it was because it didn't matter to me then. I loved that machine sadly it was stolen from me (long story), I've looked and looked for another one but haven't seen it's double but my uncle Sid who trained me in tailoring gave me the machine we had there when he closed the business. It older than I am and is just a basic lockstitch industrial machine but I love that machine which is a Singer almost as much as the old treadle. Despite having around 10 modern machines now it's always that one I use above the others. It's so wonderful to see that youngsters appreciate and want these vintage machines

BriarRose

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 18:05:43 PM »
My 30 year old son bought a used Singer Treadle a couple of years ago that is capable of sewing leather. He used to do everything by hand and the machine sped up his production considerably. He makes mostly western tack, chaps, chinks, and fire fighter equipment but I'm trying to convince him to reproduce my favorite moccasins that I can't buy anywhere for any amount of money.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.