The Sewing Place

Wanted Help from across the Pond!!!

coffeeandcake

Re: Wanted Help from across the Pond!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
Just looking at some google images for the pattern and MimiG's version jumped out at me.  She can do restrained and modest sometimes.
I like the fabric that Mimi G has used

charlotte

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 13:25:56 PM »
Just added this to the Pinterest board for my mum's mother of the groom dress ideas. (My brother's wedding, in case that's not clear.) I'm in the US later this month, so if I can persuade her to make some decisions in the next two weeks I can hopefully pick it up then if I need it. Looks like you already have yours sorted, @Efemera.

Tamnymore

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 13:55:47 PM »
Yes the Mimi G version is really nice. She's added ties at the waist which looks like a good idea.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Efemera

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 17:22:19 PM »
Found something in the stash...it’s much more deep green than the picture, a lovely poly crepe from Immanuels .. £2 a meter.

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 18:34:41 PM »
Oooh. Looks good @Efemera . £2 a metre  at Immanuels? - that means it's pretty posh stuff.  ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 19:05:44 PM »
Whilst I was doing the image search, I came upon

which has a similar vibe.  It is out of print, though.

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 19:35:20 PM »
Yes they've obviously reused some ideas but I prefer the 7804 pattern especially if I can get it anything like Mimi G's version.

A hundred years ago in the 1970s the pattern brands did Laura Ashley patterns which exactly reproduced what you saw in the shops and you could get the fabric in the Laura Ashley shops too. I made several Laura Ashley dresses and I still have a couple - thanks to my Mum never getting round to taking them to the charity shop (thanks Mum  :angel:). They have shrunk terribly in the wardrobe though  :o :o

I have a nice length of vintage Laura Ashley fabric which I hope to use to channel a little of that 70s vibe. Flares and platform soles next!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 19:39:11 PM by Tamnymore »

Tamnymore

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 20:57:28 PM »
Yay my pattern has arrived. Postage was just over £4 from the US. It was tracked all the way and only took a week to arrive. There were 11 stamps on the envelope!  :S

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 21:21:21 PM »
Just looking at some google images for the pattern and MimiG's version jumped out at me.  She can do restrained and modest sometimes.

Too bad the poor girl doesn't know the difference between midi and maxi. Influencer?  Yes, bad influence.  :S
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2020, 21:27:06 PM »
Mine has arrived too.