The Sewing Place

Reminiscing! Singer Merritt 187

Sewbee

Reminiscing! Singer Merritt 187
« on: March 03, 2020, 18:04:05 PM »
Occasionally, I think back to the very first sewing machine i sewed on. My mum bought it brand new about 1971 but rarely used it. But I used it a lot! It was a Singer Merritt 187 and it sewed like a dream!

If you scroll down this page a bit you can see a photo:

https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/gallery_machines/

Does any one remember this machinery, even better, sewn on it?

Acorn

Re: Reminiscing! Singer Merritt 187
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 18:06:31 PM »
My Mum' sewing machine when I was growing up certainly looked very like that.  I don't remember ever using it - I sewed a lot as a child, but by hand.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 18:32:29 PM »
I learned on my Gran's treadle Singer - all gold paint! Then when I was a student I lived in a house where there was an even more elaborately painted treadle Singer - I seem to remember a gold sphinx. So that machine was well used by me too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 19:13:05 PM »
I learned on my Gran's treadle Singer - all gold paint! Then when I was a student I lived in a house where there was an even more elaborately painted treadle Singer - I seem to remember a gold sphinx. So that machine was well used by me too.

My grandmother had a treadle, too. I remember being fascinated by it.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »
I had one of these which came via my brother.  It was a cracking little machine, but I gave it to a lady who was desperate for a basic sewing machine.  I often regret it, but, these machines take up a lot of space!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 11:15:16 AM »
I had 257 or 367, bought about 1970 and I donated it to Tools for Africa about 10 years ago. I remember threading it up was really fiddly and it was so heavy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 13:43:05 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 13:30:46 PM »
I had 257 or 367, bought about 1970 and I donated it to Tools for Africa about 10 years ago. I remember threading it up was really fiddly and it so heavy.

Yes, the one I had weighed a ton, too.

I have read that hundreds of vintage machines were given to poorer countries so women could start businesses and make an income.

In Glasgow I recall seeing a clothing shop on a corner of two streets. It had big windows on both sides and all you could see in the windows were vintage sewing machines, all black Singers, I believe.

KayK

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 13:52:38 PM »
My cousin had a Singer Starlet and I was seriously envious - this was in (I think) the late 60's or early 70's.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 07:47:30 AM »
My Singer 367 is still my put your back out up machine. It is like a little tank and happily bangs through everything.  :loveit: I find it easier to thread than my current plastic Brother but maybe because I've had more practice with it...what with having it 40 years or so...  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!