The Sewing Place

Baby trousies waists help please

Bodgeitandscarper

Baby trousies waists help please
« on: March 06, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
It's like getting blood out of a stone trying to get information from my daughter, so I'm sure you lot can help me...

She's asked for drawstring waists in the next trousies I make - but do I also put elastic in?  Seems a bit odd not to, but then why have a drawstring too?  She did actually send a (very bad) pic of some trousers little Clarry was wearing, but they had a ribbing waist band, which I won't be doing.

b15erk

Re: Baby trousies waists help please
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper , I think the drawstring is just a styling thing, I've always done elastic waists, you can put a faux drawstring at the front, or straps to hold things up - babies are very strange shapes and their waists don't really exist until they are five... ;)

Have you looked at Ottobre patterns for kids?  They have some lovely stuff, lots of jersey.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
I wouldn't have just drawstring on baby's trousers.  They would be a complete pain for nappy changing.  I think I'd be inclined to do a false drawstring and elasticate the back.  I can't remember how old Clarry is, but in my head he is under 6 months?  An absolute no-no for just drawstring, but then I am all for an easy life!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 13:20:45 PM »
I’d definitely put elastic in too.  Less risk of anything coming adrift.  :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 16:34:40 PM »
Thank you everyone  :)
In the end I've put in the drawstring she wanted, and the elastic I wanted  0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 17:49:09 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper sew the drawstring in somewhere. Babies will go to surprising lengths to strangle themselves or like my brother hang himself on the hood of his matinee coat!  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

badgermat

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »

Completely understand about getting info from the parents.

I've given up paying much attention and just give them what I want to make (and measure-up when our daughter isn't paying attention).

Re drawstrings v elastic, I sidestepped the whole thing and have focused on dungarees. Cheating? Maybe :)

bm
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Sakar

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
@badgermat how lovely  :loveit:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 15:31:32 PM »
That's lovely @badgermat .  I love dungarees and romper suits, but my daughter seems to prefer jumpers and trousers - I think it's the current fashion.