The Sewing Place

Gütermann Overlocker thread - very fine

WildAtlanticWay

Gütermann Overlocker thread - very fine
« on: March 07, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
I mentioned this in the Today thread but it will probably get lost in time, so I’m re-posting it here.

I bought 2 mini cones of Gütermann Overlocker thread to try in my fussy Juki sewing machine. There’s 2000mtrs on a cone and it worked out about £6 each with the exchange rate. I’d not seen this thread before, only normal Gütermann all purpose thread and moon thread so I thought I’d give it a try. Maeve (in the fabric store) sells mostly bridal and posh dress type fabrics and said a lot of her customers who make bridal wear use this thread as it’s finer than normal Gütermann thread.

When I got home I wound some thread on the bobbin and then sewed some trial seams.
OMG, what a revelation!!
My Juki sewed it beautifully, and I think I’ve solved my weird tension issues. I didn’t have to change the top tension at all. My Brother machine will sew with any old thread but I was always having to adjust the top tension on the Juki.

This is the thread. The plastic cone it’s on is peach coloured not white as that’s a different Overlocker thread.

Google Gütermann Tera 180 overlock thread

https://consumer.guetermann.com/en/product-finder/tera-180-2

I bought colour 722 as a nude type colour and the white.

Hope this might be of some help to others?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Gütermann Overlocker thread - very fine
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 14:14:12 PM »
I’ve used this in my overlocker for quite a while.  It is pricey but good.  Overlocked seams are quite flat with a lot less bulk than when using other overlocking thread.  I have to alter my tension a bit but that’s no problem. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 14:49:27 PM »
That looks interesting, but not sure if the miser in me will let me swap from Moon thread...

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 15:23:07 PM »
Bodgetandscarper you are welcome to have what few cops of Moon thread I have as I dislike this so much.  Let me know if you want them please.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
I got some of this thread when I first got an overlocker.  Three colours at the time, navy, beige and red.  The seams are wonderful but it is a beggar for me to thread with my dodgy eye.  I usually tend to go for the loosen everything and tie off when I switch threads.   They are expensive though so if I haven't got the right  colour I go with a Mara 120 thread mixed in, of which I have plenty. 

It's a Bernina and not fussy what goes through really.  I've still got some Frister Rossman cones that came with my first Janome overlocker.   

£6 is a good price for it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay, I've just looked on my Watch List on Ebay and noticed I have some Gutermann Toldi Lock from Barnyarns.  That's an overlocking thread with 2500mts (120).   That's being sold at £4.95, plenty of colours and free delivery.  I wonder if Gutermanns have stopped stocking this and moved onto the  finer thread.  At least with 120 I have a better chance of threading.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 12:50:18 PM »
In the past I’ve bought thread from Empress Mills and have been happy with it on all my machines.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 13:26:59 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay  It's good that you've found a source for fine thread which your machine likes.

Tera and Mara are Gütermann brand names for their polyester threads, and they come in a variety of different thicknesses.

Tera is a 3 ply thread
Tera Fine is a 2 ply thread
Mara is a 2 ply thread    Mara 100 is the same thread as SewAll, just smaller put-ups for the domestic market.  Same specifications.

In all of these threads the higher the number the finer the thread.   If a Gütermann thread has WA after the size it's water resistant, if it's labelled SF it's silicone finish (for very high speed industrial machines) and if it's labelled rPET it's made from recycled polyester.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 20:01:11 PM »
In the past I’ve bought thread from Empress Mills and have been happy with it on all my machines.

Oh, I agree with you.
I have a Singer, an old Jones, a Brother and the Juki. Only the (expensive!) Juki is fussy with threads. I can use my stash of Moon thread on the other machines and they sew just fine but I kept having to adjust the tension on the Juki every time I sewed a different fabric or changed the thread.

I was starting to think my machine was faulty but then on further reading, it seems it’s not uncommon for some machines to not like the cheaper fluffier threads. Also, because it’s a finer thread, it blends into the fabric and is much less noticeable so I guess that’s a bonus on lightweight fabrics. I can see why it’s used for bridal wear. If I want to sew top stitching, I’ll probably use my Brother machine and use up my Moon thread.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 20:11:42 PM »
@BrendaP  Thank you for adding your thoughts on this topic. I really appreciate your encyclopaedic knowledge of sewing and all things regarding threads, in particular. Your advice and recommendations are invaluable.  :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 08:19:00 AM »
Thank you @WildAtlanticWay   It's just years of research into lacemaking threads.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewingj

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
The more I read about the complications of using over-lockers, the less I think I want one

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 10:51:59 AM »
The more I read about the complications of using over-lockers, the less I think I want one

No, no no. My Brother Overlocker is brilliant. I honestly would happily recommend it. It’s not fussy AT ALL and dead easy to thread.

The thread issue is entirely the fault of my all singing all dancing Juki sewing machine. (Juki F600)
It has a thread cutter and a knee lifter plus masses of extra feet so it obviously feels superior to my ordinary reliable machines and likes to throw a strop now and again. Once the tension is sorted, it sews beautifully but I couldn’t understand why I had to keep adjusting it, as I never need to adjust my Brother machine (FS100).

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »

Don't say that @sewingj, I've had two overlockers, a Janome and now a Bernina.  Both would use the overlocker threads that came with the Janome (Frister Rossmann).  Bernina  too skinny to even part with the spools, they cut and tied threads off, so you couldn't use until  you'd bought some spools.  I've also bought threads from the Sew Direct site which I think were from Empress Mills and they work fine.  If I haven't got the right colour I just stick a Gutermann Mara 120 in because even if not the right colour they just seem to melt in with the colour of the fabric.

Overlockers are not complicated.  Once you've got the threading cracked, piece of cake.  First thing I do is make a note of the settings when it arrived in the manual. If there are problems, totally down to this owner.  Threads caught up on the reel stand is a common one for me.  In fact I only realised recently that I was missing a thread carrier on my Bernina a  couple of weeks ago (needle end) being too cocky with threading.  Worked alright before but probably works better now.

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 14:01:32 PM »
@sewingj - once you have an overlocker you'll wonder how you ever managed without one!  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath