The Sewing Place

Anyone have experience of the 1718 coverlet? -Experts at Y seams welcome!

beepbeepsew

As a celebration of our extension build finally coming to an end and all my sewing stuff coming out of storage after more than a year, I thought i would try this block out from the middle of the coverlet. It's not going well at all - I'm no stranger to Y seams and I don't beat myself up over perfect points, but this is just not working... The points are all over the place, the stars are massively stretched out and beyond any pressing (the centres are crinkling up just to stay in shape), it's a redo for sure.

I have been using the machine method from the book.

Does anyone have any advice/experience here? Should I just English paper piece it instead?

wrenkins

@fajita and @Iminei are your girls for that.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

fajita

I’ll have a look in a bit.

Iminei

Hi there BBS

Ive not reached that bit but the destructions in the book are pretty crap basic and Ive sort of been winging it as I see fit ....

I imagine I would split the unit down the middle of the Y seam add a seam allowance and piece it ...

My next block is block 40!

2020 Coverlet

TSP thread
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 13:45:33 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

beepbeepsew

OH that's a good idea, i will give that a go tonight - i had resigned myself to making the paper pieces but I am definitely happy to avoid that if possible! ~Thank you @Iminei

I wish I had been sensible and started at the beginning, starting in the middle seemed like such a good idea at the time.

Iminei

If you can be bothered to read my thread, I started it as a challenge to myself

1) Piecing entirely from stash (not necessarily all mine  ;)

2) keeping as close to the colours and feel of the original

3) piecing in order of the blocks on the coverlet (and in the book)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

fajita

I looked at mine, and it is done the easy way. Sorry I can’t be any more help, technically.

Picture of the easy way ...

To follow. Seems as though my subscription has died.

fajita

1718 cheats block

beepbeepsew

@fajita is that applique? It looks great, love the colour! I suppose one thing that comes of the instructions being awful is that there are a few different ways to achieve it.

@Iminei I love how yours is progressing, sticking as close as possible to the original fabric will be stunning. I saw the original at the FoQ last year? the year before? and the colours in it are just amazing.