The Sewing Place

Butterick 6208 tunic length pattern

Elnnina

Butterick 6208 tunic length pattern
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:44:34 AM »
Please has anyone got Butterick 6208 which is a tuck pleated tunic pattern in the largest sizing.  I rather like the way they have done the neckline and the front opening.  This appears to be an out of print pattern and whilst I have looked on line particularly at the USA sites, this pattern does not appear to be around.  The picture on the pattern envelope shows a peach coloured tunic top.  If anyone can help I would really appreciate this, or if anyone has this pattern and can give me a tracing of the top part of the front with the neck shape and facing this would help.  Thanks

Sewbee

Re: Butterick 6208 tunic length pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
Is this it (attached)?

Sometimes the pattern companies reuse pattern numbers so I thought it might help to post it.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:09:12 PM by Sewbee »

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 12:23:51 PM »
Lovely pattern @Elnnina .  I'm sure I've seen something similar somewhere.  I'll have a Google round.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »
Thanks Sewbee yes that is the pattern.  The latest Threads magazine 207 February March 2020 has an article featuring this pattern and the person who has made this up was also using Totally Stable  - iron on, tear away stabilizer to create even parallel tucks.

I already have another pattern by Simplicity 2365 which has a tucked central panel with shoulder princess seaming,  and a center front seam with buttons just sewn on the seam, and also Simplicity  3786 which is very similar and also has shoulder princess seams, but I rather like the way a V has been created in the Butterick pattern and proper buttons and fastening loops, and it is the way the V shape has been bound and cuts across some of the tucks that make it a little different.

I am hoping that some tops made using these patterns with the tucks will give just that little bit extra space to cover my abdomen which seems to start high up under the bust - you never know it might even disguise this part for me - I live in hope!

Thanks also Jessie - it may well be the first of the Simplicity patterns I mentioned again discontinued,  I spent a long time on making a center front tucked part ready to merge in with the shoulder princess toile I have been working on, I tried various sewing machines trying to get the tucks just right without the foot on the machine getting pushed aside and of course the last machine I used was the most expensive of my collection and has a 9mm needle width and that made such a difference - I have never sewn so many trial tucks in my life before and used a zipper foot, an ordinary foot, an old Singer edge stitch foot - they all got in the way of the previous stitched tuck.  Now that hopefully spring and summer are on the way I need to get a move on and get this trial top connected to the rest of the bodice and see how it is looking on.

Ros

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 17:24:11 PM »
If you are a pin tuck shirt fan, have a look at the Pattern Scout Byrdie, which includes a full buttoned shirt option. You can release the tucks at the waist or sew them the full length. The plain shirt option also meant I could do a tester without sewing all the tucks (8 each side and 4 in the back).

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:05:03 AM »
Ros thank you for that link, interesting.

The Butterick pattern that I am after has a V neckline which has been bound with a flat binding a cm or so wide and it looks from the pattern front that there was no CF seam.  Now a few years ago I tried to replicate a neckline and collar from something I had oh so many years ago now and I thought it was based on a V neckline, but instead of it being a straight V the actual V was slightly curved and that gave a much nicer line and sat better on the upper chest.  I need to get this right as it cuts across a few of the tucks.   I have plenty of Calico so it means messing about with more tucks and V necklines to see how they look.

I have one front toile of some tucks which I stitched last year and getting this out the other day I noticed that as nice as the tucks are they are really tiny, so something like 1/8"  and being so tiny probably need to have a few more each side of the CF than I have at the moment.  I also like the technique that is feature in the latest Threads magazine where she has used this Totally Stable fusibile  tear away iron on stabiliser to get the spacing just right - so that means going on line to order some.

Oh I am checking the internet each day to see if the Butterick factory folded pattern comes up - you just never know.