The Sewing Place

(Honest) opinions please re my unfinished "wedding dress"

coffeeandcake

Re: (Honest) opinions please re my unfinished "wedding dress"
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 19:34:09 PM »
I think that sleeves are fine and can be whatever length you're comfortable with. I do think the hem needs to be raised to fall just on or slightly above the knee. Lovely fabric.

Lachica

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 20:43:50 PM »
It fits well, you've done a great job. I'd raise the hem a smidge to sit mid-knee, and I'd lower the neckline to accommodate a chunky necklace. A simple collarless jacket in the blue would be good, with a nipped in waist. But it suits you & if you're comfortable in it then wear it proudly without alteration :)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

datcat23

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 21:06:57 PM »
I am going to agree with everyone else, that a slightly lower neckline to feature a nice necklace, would be a good option.  I would consider a narrow belt to match your shoes, and yes a tiny bit shorter at the hem.  But, you need to do what you feel is best for you. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

BriarRose

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 21:49:53 PM »
You look lovely and elegant in it.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Greybird

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 22:47:50 PM »
If you were to wear a belt, it would shorten it anyway.

Vezelay

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 23:42:43 PM »
Thank you dear folks for all the feedback, I'm weighing up all suggestions and may try photoing myself with a slightly higher hemline, also with a belt. I'm debating lowering the neckline a cm or two as well, or reshaping it a bit more boat-like.

Ironically After watching the news tonight our plans may change and we may not go over after all. You can probably guess why - the Coronavirus situation is clearly escalating rapidly and the last thing we want is to be quarantined away from home and in another country. There will be airports, plane journeys and large gatherings and we are both risk averse but keen to see our respective families. We said we'd decide by Thursday.

But I'll finish the dress this week anyway and, if necessary, it can keep for the next "big occasion". :)

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »
I think your dress is lovely @Vezelay, and it really suits you.  It's one of those that you can really dress up or down, so very useful to have in your wardrobe.

Look forward to seeing the finished version.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
I like long sleeves and think the hemline is fine, but agree with others on modifying the neckline.

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
I tend to make all dressing decisions on a first glance, it usually tells me everything, which sometimes I don't want to know.

Flipping fabulous @Vezelay, in fact second glance I was scanning to see what the pattern was.  Yes I did register the higher neck that I would normally not have but didn't put me off or the longer length than I would not have. However, I strongly suspect that you are taller and slimmer than me, but that didn't put me off either.  I'd dazzle with my smile.

Another woman would spend a lot of money on that, along with a nice label, which is probably what she was paying for. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Fabric Lover

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »
I also think your dress looks lovely @Vezelay but would lower the neckline slightly. It would look really special with a pashmina in pale grey or pale pink, - is that the colour of the flowers?   
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

blackcat001

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 20:35:50 PM »
Lovely! Perfect!

Vezelay

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 22:08:15 PM »
Things have moved so fast. Three days ago we told the bride that sadly we couldn't risk the trip. Today we heard the reception has been postponed until it's safe again. The bride's mother (DHs cousin) today flew back from holiday in Spain. She will have to self isolate and miss her daughter's wedding!

My dress is unfinished as we've been preoccupied with a very sick cat whos been in vet hospital all week and not out of the woods yet  :(

Lachica

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 22:37:00 PM »
@Vezelay that's a shame, what a disappointment for the bride's mum. Sorry to hear about your cat. On the bright side, in isolation you'll have time to tweak the dress :)
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Kenora

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 21:48:42 PM »
Hoping your cat is soon better. :meow:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Vezelay

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 08:06:46 AM »
Sad to say our lovely Alfie is no more. Yesterday he was waiting for us to arrive at the Vet's to say goodbye, then went quickly without any vet intervention. He was completely adorable, very affectionate, full of fun and mischief and very fluffy indeed. We are so fortunate to have had his companionship for eight years - he will most definitely be missed. :'(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 14:54:14 PM by Vezelay »