The Sewing Place

(Honest) opinions please re my unfinished "wedding dress"

Vezelay

(Honest) opinions please re my unfinished "wedding dress"
« on: March 09, 2020, 15:28:34 PM »
I don't wear dresses but decided to make one anyway for a family wedding in York In ten days time
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It's McCalls 6886 which I've made variations of a few times and is dead quick and easy. Its a 12 top half then a 10 from armpits down. Looking at this picture, next time I'll make a straight 10 and just  lower the armscye a bit. But this one will do.

The fabric is very busy so right out of my comfort zone but hey it's a wedding. And I will make a smart top out of it afterwards.

The neckline, hem and sleeves are just tacked so those are what I'd like your views on please.

Does the hem look about the right length? I'd have to wear it with tights this time of year and I'll look for a slightly smarter pair of bunion-comfortable shoes (not heels though).

Ditto the sleeves? I know 3/4 looks nice but they always feel odd on me. And it's March!

What about the neckline? Thats my main quandary. It could go lower but should I? At the moment it's the higher one turned over twice (5/8" as intended). If I went lower I'd do a band or binding.

This is one with the lower neckline which I'd raise a bit.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Thanks folks.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 15:35:47 PM by Vezelay »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: (Honest) opinions please re my unfinished "wedding dress"
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 15:35:25 PM »
It looks lovely, I think you've got the neck, long sleeves and hem length just right.  :)  And I don't think the fabric is at all busy, as there's so much background colour there.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 15:37:13 PM »
What a lovely dress @Vezelay . Like Bodgie says I wouldn't change anything. Looks great on you.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 15:37:28 PM »
@Vezelay I think your dress is lovely.  Its such a nice fresh fabric. I know you say its out of your comfort zone but I think it looks fab.

I think you could go a tad shorter in the hem length but before you commit I would try sitting down in the dress to check you are not showing too much leg (unless you want to, of course ;))

The neckline looks fine to me.

As for the arms you are right to think its still only March but most of the wedding venues in York are well heated but some of the churches are not so cosy!

I bet you get so many compliments you decide to keep it as a dress.  We all need one smart dress in our lives.

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 15:41:54 PM »
Hi Vezelay, like the dress as it is, the length is good, the shoulders and armholes look good, and as for the sleeve length I will say go for whatever you are most comfortable with.  The neckline is fine, but what I will say if you are going to alter this after the wedding, make the neckline how you are going to feel most comfortable in.

By the way I love the fabric. 

Here we are racing towards the middle of March and some days are just lovely, sunny and bright and a bit warmer then crash back to the dreary grey and like today it is cold and trying to rain.  So bearing all of this in mind,  I am going to say finish the dress for the wedding, and also have something else you can wrap around yourself to give you that added bit of warmth as some wedding venues can be a bit big and chilly.  You do not want to make the dress too tight that you will be uncomfortable with, you need to be comfortable both standing and sitting and of cpurse enjoy the lovely Wedding Breakfast - go and enjoy yourself, and you never know you might just decide to leave the dress as it is -always nice to have something in the wardrobe for any occasion.

jintie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 15:44:42 PM »
Looks perfect to me.  :D
Rottweiler with scissors

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 15:45:18 PM »
Love the fabric. The colour suits you. The shoulders fit nicely. I think the neckline is fine, unless you would be more comfortable with it lower. Will you want to wear a necklace with it? If so, I would do the neckline to suit where the necklace will sit. I think the length is good. If you are happier with long sleeves, then that's what they should be. Will you be wearing a jacket with it? In which case, plain blue.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 15:49:50 PM »
I like it as it is, but if you lower the neck slightly, it would be a bit dressier, although I would not do that without a jacket on top. It is, as you say, March!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

sewingj

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 16:01:11 PM »
Honest opinion it looks lovely to me.

If you hadn't mentioned the neckline I wouldn't have said there was anything wrong with it but now I have scrutinized it I think it could go marginally lower

So Chic

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 16:14:49 PM »
Looks great and I wouldn't change anything on it. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 16:16:10 PM »
Yes, it looks good on you.  Sleeve and hem length look right and if you are comfortable with the neckline that's fine too.  For this time of year I wouldn't make it any lower.

I know you think the fabric is busy, but from what I can see in the photo it's only two colours; that's fairly restrained.  I think it will look lovely with a splash of red somewhere perhaps a necklace or scarf.  Also it's a wedding so please wear a hat.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 16:37:00 PM »
It looks great as it is, maybe 3/4 length sleeves if you wear a jacket. The fabric is lovely.
Still learning

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 18:48:55 PM »
I think it looks perfect as it is.  But! for a dressy dress I would show a little more flesh somewhere, probably at the neckline then you could wear a nice necklace with it.

But, if you are happy with it as it is leave it as it is.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 19:26:36 PM »
You look wonderful, that dress is perfect

SkoutSews

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 19:33:35 PM »
I like your dress and don't think the fabric is 'busy'. On the contrary, the white print on the blue background looks calm and elegant.
Everyone has their own idea about the ideal dress length and neckline depth, you can decide what you are comfortable with. There's nothing worse than spending the whole day pulling at your dress because you feel it's a bit too short or being uncomfortable with showing more than you want to at the neckline. Just be sure that any necklace you want to wear sits well with the neckline.

I have that McCall's pattern too and it's a favourite, very versatile.

Wear your dress with pride!