The Sewing Place

Butterick Patterns Half Price

classical retro

Butterick Patterns Half Price
« on: March 13, 2020, 19:33:17 PM »
I've never known so many half price pattern offers in UK.
I've managed to keep my list in tact, but I found out first at Jaycotts.
CR :angel:

Tamnymore

Re: Butterick Patterns Half Price
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 20:31:28 PM »
There's usually a bit of overlap between the pattern offers in the UK so Vogue is still on offer for the next couple of days too.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 22:42:32 PM »
Do you think perhaps, that the offerings are so rubbishy that sales are down and this is the only way they can sell them? I have bought very few patterns in the last couple of years - there is just nothing I can get enthusiastic about.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 23:00:08 PM »
Hmm not sure @Greybird . The big four have had half price sales cycling round one after the other for as long as I can remember. However I seem to remember some 40% off Vogue sales and a 25% Simplicity sale in the last few years so 50% is certainly better. There is a new Butterick spring release on the US site but of course it's not arrived in the UK yet - the last release was the autumn. I generally like the Katherine Tilton patterns but not much else in Butterick. Haven't seen a flash sale on sewdirect for a long time.  :'(

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 08:26:48 AM »
@Greybird, I started buying patterns only in the sales years' ago, but I have to be realistic about the fit issues and dismiss those that will be too much trouble to make.  I also have several patterns that I will never make and as I have effectively stopped sewing, see in point in buying anymore.  In fact, I am going to purge and will offer them on here at some point.

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
Yes I have had a pattern purge and must continue to purge @UttaRetch as I do continue to buy patterns, almost always in ssles,  and I do a lot of sewing. My favourites are the Vogue designer pattens and some of the Tilton sisters' patterns. Stylearc and some indies I like too. I have to be realistic about whst suits me but I do like altering a designer pattern to fit little (actually not so little) old me. I generally give unloved patterns to the charity shop which will make most from them which usually means Barnardos in the next village who charge £2 for their patterns. I am guilty of donating something to a charity shop then buying something while I'm there but I suppose that helps them too. And if the thing I buy takes up less space than what I donated then that's ok!

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 13:16:07 PM »
Nearly fell of the wagon to buy

for a fiver, but talked myself out of it for various reasons.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 13:42:56 PM »
Mmm nice pattern @UttaRetch. All the better for having a jacket verson too. For a fiver I wouldn't hesitate.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 13:52:35 PM »
Step away from the winkelwagen you!!!  :D
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 14:01:24 PM »
@Tamnymore, coats are my thing as far as patterns are concerned but having done one shawl collar coat before, I'm not sufficiently enamoured of this one to buy.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 16:36:07 PM »
@wrenkins I'm trying to hide the winkelwagen behind my back but you've spotted it. Wanders off whistling......

eluceo

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 17:10:15 PM »
@UttaRetch  I don't know how I missed that pattern but it is now calling my name.  :loveit:   Too bad all non-essential retail closed last night or I might be tempted to pick it up. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 18:05:44 PM »
I've only found one person who has made this pattern and I am not sold.   In retrospect, there is no enough volume in the skirt for my big ol' backside.

STOP PRESS: found - https://www.minervacrafts.com/blog/projects/brocade-coat - and I am even less impressed.  There is definitely a mismatch between pattern and fabric.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 18:14:59 PM by UttaRetch »

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 18:32:31 PM »
That is a very nice dressing gown.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 18:39:50 PM »
Dressing gown was my first impression.  The blogger said 'I’m kind of looking forward to it getting cold enough to wear this on a regular basis!'.  :o