The Sewing Place

Lurking M&S

UttaRetch

Lurking M&S
« on: March 14, 2020, 19:52:25 PM »
Whilst waiting to meet my friend today, I went into M&S and noticed

On closer inspection, it turned out to be poor fabric not very well sewn and certainly not worth the £45 they are asking.  The denim version at £10 more

is even worse.  However, I recall recently seeing

which would do nicely.

dolcevita

Re: Lurking M&S
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 21:38:19 PM »
What a difference!  The MimiG one looks gorgeous, especially the colour.  The M&S one might do for dishcloths, but not much more.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 21:55:46 PM »
Sorry I don't like any of them, but if I had to choose one it would be the first from M&S.  Hard to tell from a photo but it's not sitting well on the hanger.

The denim looks so sad and floppy - floorcloth rather than dishcloth, and the yellow one looks like a plastic raincoat.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 22:03:41 PM »
I really like the first one.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 22:59:08 PM »
And I thought the first one was a dressing gown...  0_0

We do all have different tastes, don't we?  :D

Manuela

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 02:47:03 AM »
The mismatched print on the top part of the first dress really hurts my eyes.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 08:01:39 AM »
I really like the fabric of the first M&S dress, and the style of Mimi G's dress
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 08:10:04 AM »
I thought they were dressing gowns -< but wasn't sure about the last one.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
The M&S dresses really are sad.  MimiG's would make a good pattern if you wanted to copy the look.  I like her choice of fabric, but it wouldn't be mine.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »
I wouldn’t give house room to either but if I had to choose, it would be the first one.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 12:32:16 PM »
I thought the first one was a dressing gown too!  I wouldn't want any of them, hate the flouncy ruffly look.  Says she, who got married in a dress with a ruffle back in 1979...... :devil:

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 15:46:33 PM »
There are some people who look good regardless of what they wear, I am not. Too short for either I'd go with the navy, there again maybe not, this washed and layered look would definitely get rude comments, so first one.  If a weather lady wore it he wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 20:29:31 PM »
Sorry but I think they are horrible, no wonder M&S are going down the pan, I knew their quality had got shoddy the last few years but those efforts really take the biscuit. Mind you what can you expect when they are using the same factories and sometimes the same fabrics that Primark do!

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 20:34:54 PM »
I bought a lovely blouse from M&S early last summer in a lawn-like fabric.  I was pleased with it so later on in the summer I bought another in a different colourway (online).  The fabric of the second one is horrible - coarse and nothing like the first one.

I did the same thing with nighties at M&S a few years ago.  The first (blue) one was really lovely.  Later in the season the second (grey, but otherwise apparently identical) was not as well made (the yoke wasn't lined) and the fabric wasn't nearly as good - thinner and somehow shabbier.  The third one (bought at the same time as the second one) was pink, and was truly shocking.

That seems to be an alarming pattern to me.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 08:16:28 AM »
Diluting the quality, but keeping the pricing is not a smart move.  M&S management is determined to steer the business into the rocks.