The Sewing Place

Repair for rip in dress net/tulle

Marniesews

Repair for rip in dress net/tulle
« on: March 15, 2020, 19:04:17 PM »
I have a net overlay on a juvenile dress that has a curved rip about 10cm. I've experimented with glues (G-S Cement, Fray Stopper, Hi-Tack and jewel glue) but t the jewel glues take too long to dry and don't hold well while the first two glue well but are visible against the underskirt fabric.

I don't hold out much hope but was going to try a simple zigzag and 3-step zigzag with invisible thread (not too bad on the old Bernina).Even if it sews well,  I suspect it will catch the light however and be noticeable.

I thought about backing the rip with another piece of net but then how to join the two without the thread being visible for that?

Any ideas?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Flobear

Re: Repair for rip in dress net/tulle
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 19:23:25 PM »
I have repaired such things with neat hand-stitching trying to replicate the net as well as I could. However, it wasn't anywhere that really mattered too much.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 21:41:23 PM »
Could you hand-stitch it as suggested, in a toning colour - then back it with a thin, shaped strip of WonderWeb? (Not sure what it's called these days - used to be used for ironing up hems)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

sewing in oz

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »
If the net is a different colour to the solid backing fabric, I'd be inclined to hand sew using a thread that's partway between the 2 colours to help it blend.  Is the tear in a structural place, like a side bodice or something, or down on the skirt?