The Sewing Place

String piecing

Lilian

String piecing
« on: March 16, 2020, 23:46:31 PM »
I just found this nifty idea on another quilting board.  I have some adding machine rolls. Not toilet rolls though   ;)
strip piecing

Something new to try  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

Re: String piecing
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:34:26 AM »
Look forward to seeing your creations with that ... very shabby chic!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
Ooh, that looks like a good idea for scraps. What’s the idea of the paper? Is it just to keep the whole long strip straight? I’m making some blocks out of scraps at the moment as my scrap box was bulging and overflowing and there was so much in it that I couldn’t find anything. Maybe I could make this with the long thin bits. Thanks @Lilian........but why were you on another quilting board....is that allowed?! ;) 0_0

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »
@Sheilago it was on Pinterest and was being used for binding  :P

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 14:00:26 PM »
@Sheilago  I think if some of your scraps are on the bias then the paper will keep it from stretching before use.  It would also be easier to roll up and store.  The lady was using hers for binding :)

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 15:20:25 PM »
Would you leave the paper in when you sew the binding?  A bit like leaving the papers in EPP, OK until it's washed!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 15:43:17 PM »
@BrendaP I wouldn't leave the paper in, I would remove it just before using,  I didn't follow through how she used it but it wouldn't work if the paper was left in.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 19:41:30 PM »
@BrendaP I wouldn't leave the paper in, I would remove it just before using,  I didn't follow through how she used it but it wouldn't work if the paper was left in.

I can't bear the thought of tearing off all that paper. Hands have gone arthritic in my dotage  :D But this has me pondering cutting long strips of light weight wash away stabilizer. Granted a lot pricier than using old paper rolls laying about but maybe a good alternative for some of us.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.