The Sewing Place

Regency outfit

Sonatine

Regency outfit
« on: March 21, 2020, 18:37:54 PM »
I'm attempting to make a full regency outfit, including all of the underpinnings, entirely by hand. So a chemise, short stays, petticoat and dress. And maybe shoes...? I've bought a pattern for the dress but everything else will be self drafted.

Progress so far:
- Chemise pattern drafted
This is all squares and rectangles, with two of the rectangles cut in half to make right angled triangles which are sewn together in pairs to make two larger triangles. These act as side panels to give it a flared shape.
- Chemise marked and cut out
As the linen is so unstable and shifts around so much I've used the (apparently historically accurate) method of drawing a single thread out of the weave at the dimensions of each piece to give a straight line which is perfectly on grain to cut along. This was fiddly and took a long time, so hopefully it was worth it!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
- Stays pattern drafted
In theory this should fit me perfectly. I've got enough fabric for four attempts in case it becomes a mock up!

sewingj

Re: Regency outfit
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 18:55:53 PM »
Wow!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 20:58:31 PM »
Will watch your progress with interest...Regency fashion is my favourite. I blame it on all those Georgette Heyer novels.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »
Good Luck Darling, everything Ive so far seen that you've made has been incredible ...
I shall expect nothing less for this project .
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sonatine

Re: Regency outfit... oops now it's 18th century!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
So as much as I love hand sewing, the problem is that in the time it takes to make something I've already gotten distracted by something else. I've just finished the shift/chemise (and cap and neck handkerchief from the scraps):
But now I've decided to move away from regency in favour of 1770s/1780s - my next projects are an earlier style of stays from this pattern and a simple under petticoat made from natural unbleached linen.

The seams of the shift are all backstitched and then the seam allowances are trimmed and felled. I wasn't planning to have a drawstring at the neckline but I tried it on and it fell straight off my shoulders! It seems to be much more secure now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:26:59 AM by Sonatine »

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 09:40:17 AM »
I think that's probably why the sewing machine was such a success once invented! Are you actually going to wear these lovely things or will they just live on a dummy?

Sonatine

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 09:46:56 AM »
@Greybird I'll definitely wear them - the full 'everyday' type outfit I'll wear out on walks if I finish it during lockdown and then to 18th century social events (normally costumed museum or historical property visits) once they're allowed to be held again. My next plan is for a riding habit from the same era so the undergarments will all be used for that too and hopefully one day I'll be able to wear it at a side saddle show.

datcat23

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 11:11:27 AM »
I have invested in a set of regency patterns to make myself a regency outfit.  Unlike you, its purely for the experience ..... as I have nowhere to wear it. 

I am curious, what are you going to make your over-dress from?  lawn, voile or linen?  and are you planning to use patterned or plain colour?
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  6m | Items made:  2  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Sonatine

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
@datcat23 the fabric I had planned for the regency dress is a really fine lightweight cotton, off-white and with a stripe / square pattern woven into it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:46:16 PM by Sonatine »