The Sewing Place

Renumbered McCall's patterns

UttaRetch

Renumbered McCall's patterns
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
Courtesy of Pattern review, see them here.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Renumbered McCall's patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:34:43 AM »
Did they think by re-numbering them, they'd sell them again to people?  Otherwise it just seems an expensive pointless operation.

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »
I have this pattern so if anyone would like it please let me know and I will put it in the post.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 13:17:57 PM »
@So Chic, er which pattern?

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 14:10:50 PM »
@UttaRetch
Sorry, I have 6886 unused.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 14:24:53 PM »
Surely they could have rebranded without changing the numbers? It's only going to lead to confusion.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 18:19:58 PM »
Jeez. Let's do some fancy new lettering and try to look less frumpy so all the millennials will think we're hip and trendy. Then they'll buy from us instead of all those indie pattern companies.

I guess they figure all the oldies are going to die off soon and they need to disassociate from us.

Stupid stupid stupid.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 18:52:19 PM »
It's bad enough when you look up a pattern number and there are two completely different garments because they ran out of four digit numbers and started reusing them.

This is absurd.  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 19:11:25 PM »
I could understand it if they'd gone to a completely different numbering system, but this seems absurd.

I wonder whether the first number(s) now refer to the type of item it is in some way - 8*** being women's maybe.  Even if that is the case, it would make far more sense doing it with a completely different system rather than repeating numbers yet again.  Maybe just putting a 'W' in front of the existing numbers.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 21:30:56 PM »
Absolutely bonkers. I'm not going to buy any more now.  I ended up with 2 Butterick 'wardrobe' patterns because they changed the picture on the front.  Must be new management, a new broom may not sweep clean, but it must be seen to sweep.
'
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:02 AM »
The cover art should at least retain images from the original issue:

renumbered

In the past, I have found renumbered patterns because the artwork was substantially the same.  Would I have been able to find the renumbered 6614 just from the new cover, I don't think so.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
They're going after "Influencer " fluff now, not actual substance. All about selling an image not what is really there. Can't stand the new stylish illustrations that don't really resemble the garments. Wonder if they messed with the line drawings too. Don't care enough to look.

Doubt I'll be buying any of the new drivel.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sewcycle

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 07:19:37 AM »
@UttaRetch I hadn’t realised they’d done this. How silly to alienate their normal buyers. There’s something I really don’t like about the new pattern front design. I wasn’t very keen on the simplicity hacking ones but these are worse. The new photos are set against such a busy background, and not well shot, that the garment is difficult to see.
'Is there a life before breakfast'

Bogwoppit

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
Have they just used a different photo from the first session? Looks like same model, wearing the one the bloke has on the old one.

Edited to add:
Looked at the pattern review article - looks like a whole lot of Photoshop going on!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:46:27 AM by Bogwoppit »
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Sewcycle

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:22:34 AM »
I’ve just looked at the Simplicity Spring patterns and realised they have re- issued those with different numbers. They’re not ‘hacking’, my mistake, they’re just really boring envelope graphics. At least they’ve used the same ones so you should be able to see if they’re a duplicate of one you’ve got.
'Is there a life before breakfast'