The Sewing Place

Hi from the US

snoozi soozi

Re: Hi from the US
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 16:53:40 PM »
@ElOmbu hello and welcome. What do you like to sew? How many machines do you have? We need to know aaaaallllll about you  :P  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

ElOmbu

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 20:34:55 PM »
LOL. Ok, the love of my sewing room is a Bernina 930e. I bought it used about 5 years ago and never looked back.  I also have a Singer S18, which is a Janome 6400 clone. I don't love it, but it's not bad, and has automatic buttonholes so I've kept it. I just think any machine would pale next to the 930.  I don't name my machines.

I bought a Bernette 800D serger many many years ago, but honestly, I never use it and it lives on the floor in a corner. I have never met a serger I liked. I take it out once a year, do something with it, and put it away. I should really just get rid of it.  I do everything on my sewing machine, including knits.

I'm lucky because I'm slender (although short), and don't really have trouble finding things that fit at the shops--it's mostly a matter of style, and the creative outlet. I sew clothes (no home dec!), mostly for myself, but recently also for my sister, who is built very differently, so that's been an interesting learning process.

I have a personalized block. If I were disciplined I would use it to draft new tops and dresses. I'm not so I still buy new patterns.

When I care about what I'm wearing, I often do a sort of elevated art-teacher/downmarket museum curator look--ethnic textiles, drapey voluminous things that I try to scale down so I don't look like I'm a 10 year-old wearing my mother's cast-offs. I have narrow shoulders, and regularly size down and do an FBA.

I don't make jackets or blazers or anything tailored. I am currently on the hunt for the holy grail of wide-legged WOVEN trouser patterns, and have made a lot of muslins, trying to decide if I like the bones of the pattern on me enough to make the changes that I'd need to make.  I can't wear anything tight around my middle, and so I've been testing patterns with elastic backs, but so far...not happy. My sewing goal for this year is to get this done.

And...that's all I can think of for now. Here is hoping that you are all keeping yourselves together at this stressful time.

ElOmbu

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 20:37:58 PM »
Welcome to TSP.  I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but we love to see photos of what you are making.
I am going to have to spend some time in the technical thread to figure that out!!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 20:47:49 PM »
Welcome  @ElOmbu ! It's a friendly place. If you need a translator I'm pretty good at English English after two years here.   :loveit:

What part of the US are you in? California girl here.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

WendyW

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 21:23:28 PM »
Hello and Welcome, @ElOmbu !  I'm also in the USA- central MN to be imprecise.  I also like sewing clothes. I'm not doing much clothing right now though, since I've lost a lot of weight and still losing, so I'm not willing to put the time into things that (hopefully) won't fit for long. Currently putting my efforts into quilting instead.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
I bought a Bernette 800D serger many many years ago, but honestly, I never use it and it lives on the floor in a corner. I have never met a serger I liked. I take it out once a year, do something with it, and put it away. I should really just get rid of it.  I do everything on my sewing machine, including knits.
Overlockers are the work of the  :devil: I briefly had a low grade Singer model, but struggled to lace it up and never got to grips with it.  I don't need one for my level or style of sewing - don't do knits - and it went to another Sewing place member.

Surest1tch

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 21:43:18 PM »
Welcome from me too @ElOmbu  :D Do you think your daughter will come on here and join you too?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 21:46:05 PM by Surest1tch »

ElOmbu

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 23:25:23 PM »
We'll see. If this goes on much longer, that sewing machine may materialize, and then I'll point her your way! 

Her main frustration these days is her inability to find strong flour anywhere. Like anywhere in England!  She's an avid sourdough baker and is hoarding the small bag of plain white flour she has to keep her starter alive. I've looked online and all the millers have shut down their websites because they've been slammed with orders. Everyone is comfort baking! They also ran out of toilet roll three weeks ago, right as all the panic was hitting. They went to Tesco and she saw someone with two 24-packs, but the shelves were complete stripped by the time they got there. My son-in-law's boss kindly gave him a pack of four last week from the company stores, but then they'll be back to square 1. It's the same over here--ridiculous.

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:10:32 AM »
Who knew there were so many bakers in this country.  I have half a kilo of self-raising flour for making the occasional batch of fried dumplings, but the shelves are bare of fluor of any sort.

Lavatory paper is not a problem, especially as the supermarkets are restricting how many packs can be bought, so you daughter should be able to get hold of some.

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
I've had the same problem getting strong flour.  Fortunately I already had a bag and a half, but, of course, bread uses a lot more flour than cakes, so a bag and a half is only 3-4 loaves.

I suspect a lot of breadmakers have been dug out of the backs of cupboards and dusted off.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »
I seem to have missed our newcomer - hello and welcome from me  :)

Oh, and did anyone tell you that we NEED pics of everything you make?  0_0