The Sewing Place

Needle cases?

Efemera

Needle cases?
« on: March 23, 2020, 20:03:51 PM »
What is the fabric called that’s used in old fashioned needle cases?..it’s a tight woven wool kind of stuff.

wrenkins

Re: Needle cases?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 20:05:16 PM »
My mum's old needle case was made of what we call flannel. Not facecloth flannel but almost like a baize fuzzy weave thing.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 20:30:17 PM »
I inherited my nan's needle case. I think the pages are wool felt. You can buy it in different thicknesses at Cloud Craft.
ETA. Just had a google and Domette looks very much like the stuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 20:42:10 PM by coffeeandcake »

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 21:01:49 PM »
@Efemera   I know what you mean.  For years (more than half a century 'cos I was given it before we were married and it was 51st anniversary yesterday) I had a needle book with leather outside and the proper stuff for the pages, but it eventually fell to bits and over the last few months I have acquired three new needle cases, but none are as good as the original.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The one on the left I made at craft club, it has a crazy patchwork cover and felt for the pages.  OK at the moment but it won't last 50 years!

The one with black pages was also a craft club make - it's got blackwork embroidery on the outside and tha pages are from a scrap of some sort of furnishing fabric/heavy canvas found on the club sales table.

The little one with blue pages was a raffle prize, it too has very nice coloured blackwork on the outside but the pages are rubbish.  I think she used linen, somewhere between hankie weight and P&Q weight.  There's fraycheck all around the edges but the holes made by the needles just don't close up. :(

The final bit with the very big needles is the remains of the original. I'm not sure whether it's cotton or wool.  I was going to suggest flannelette sheet or winceyette but I've just looked in my 'bible' and apparently winceyette was originally  cotton weft with warp filling, and indeed that could be what my old one was made from. 

Dunno where you would get proper cotton/wool winceyette from now!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:21:47 AM »
My needlecase is over 100 years old and has a very thin blanket type fabric for the needles.  The family story is that it was made as a wedding present for my grandmother by her young cousin.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up