The Sewing Place

Sewing shirt collar

Bogwoppit

Sewing shirt collar
« on: April 23, 2017, 23:04:33 PM »
I'm working on my first shirt, Liesl and Co Classic Shirt. It's a bit of a leap for me but finding the instructions brilliant and going slowly.

I've nearly finished the collar, last step is to edge stitch the inside collar band.  It's all pinned and ready, but where is the best place to start from and should i go all the way round in one go?

It's going so well i don't want to suddenly stuff up.

Thanks, Lisa
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

DementedFairy

Re: Sewing shirt collar
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
This is one of those easy steps that can go pear shaped lol

Firstly, baste it, rather than pin, then you don't have to keep pausing to remove pins.  I generally start at CB and try to go round in one pass.  You may find that it 'sticks' when you go round the corner at CF, I keep a chopstick or wooden skewer at hand to sort of push the fabric under the presser foot if that happens.

Fingers crossed, deep breath, off you go
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
I think that near the shoulder seam is less noticeable than CB
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »
true- depends on how long your hair is lol
C'est moi!

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Yes, centre back for me too.  Less unpicking too if it goes pear shaped.

Good luck.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

DaisyChain

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 18:15:49 PM »
Hi Bogwoppit,(fab name!)
Good to hear everything’s going well for you with your shirt. I recently made the Liesl and Co Gallery Tunic and I was so pleased with the fit on the upper  ‘bodice’ I thought I’d try her shirt pattern. It arrived last week but I haven’t started it yet and so far I haven’t seen any reviews. Please keep us posted as to how it all turns out.   8)

P.S. I start from the CB too.

:wool:     :meow:      :woof:     

Bogwoppit

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 18:31:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. I will start centre back as my hair will cover any little puckers or missmatch.

I found this tutorial which also reminded me i need to trim the seam allowances first so unpinning, trimming and basting i will go!
http://sewaholic.net/shirtmaking-completing-our-collar-and-collar-stand/

If kids bedtime goes smoothly I'll try tonight.  Expect questions on cuffs next!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 23:38:31 PM »
Life intervened and delayed my sewing.  Collar worked well. Thanks everyone.

Sleeve plackets now done, very fiddly. Sleeves attached, my first time and only one tiny tuck that will be well hidden by the pattern.

I think I'm going to have another delay as course work falling behind and new tutor coming on Tuesday. I definitely need someone checking up on my progress!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 10:13:23 AM »
Here's a progress pic. I'm very pleased with it so far.

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
well done!
C'est moi!

Fabric Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »
Looking great!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Kittensposies

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 13:22:09 PM »
Wow, that looks awesome!! I am also mid-shirt-making. I did plackets the other night and almost quit, so fiddly!

I have just started the collar so that link above is really helpful :)

Good luck with the rest of the shirt!

DaisyChain

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 16:34:46 PM »
Wow, your shirt looks really good.  :)

Thanks for posting the shirt making link. I always like it when they show lots of photos.

There’s a Classic shirt sew-a-long starting on Monday on the Oliver + S blog which, if I have time, I’m going to follow. I’ve made several shirts before but I always like seeing how other people do things as I never know what tips or tricks I might pick up. ... Just call me Mrs Sewing Magpie.

https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2017/04/announcing-the-classic-shirt-sew-along-and-linky-party.html

:wool:       :meow:      :woof: