The Sewing Place

Bluprint - free until 9 April (was Craftsy)

Marniesews

Re: Bluprint - free until 9 April (was Craftsy)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »
This is great! Thank you for posting Morgan.  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
I'm sure some of these things are very good, but is it just me who hates having to sit through a video?  I just want to read how to do something, with a few diagrams if necessary, then I can go at my own pace, which is a heck of a lot faster than a lot of videos where they just waffle and wave their hands around!  Also, I think it's pure laziness to not write things down clearly for others to follow.
Obviously this is just my (very strange) opinion, but I wonder if any one else is the same?

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 10:06:36 AM »
Everyone learns differently; some like written words, some like spoken words, some like printed diagrams, some like video.  Personally I don't mind video to learn a neew technigue so long as it gets to the point without a lot of waffle, most Craftsy/Bluprint videos are OK, but for long term reference I prefer proper books and failing that a print-out of online instructions, but then og course it does depend on the quality of the diagrams.  I know from experience that it's not easy to draw good instructional diagrams.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
I much prefer written instructions especially when i am just checking for reminder of a process.
That said i did really find Alison Smith's tailoring videos excellent with no waffle and no unnecessary watching her sew long, straight seams.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 10:36:52 AM »
I do like a nice sewing  book and prefer photos to diagrams.   Great for reminders and quick reference.  But I find videos sometime make a process simpler than it sounds  written down.  I have to DO something to work it out but having a video works better and can save time.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »
I love a good reference book (I have quite a number) and am perhaps rather unreasonable sometimes in raising the odd eyebrow at all the basic questions asked on fb groups under the guise of 'I'm a visual learner' that are front and centre of every machine's owner's manual.  ><

All the same, as Brenda mentions, diagrams have limitations and I've had a few eureka moments from Bluprint classes seeing how the tutor is holding something during construction, for example, that just doesn't really come across in reference books as naturally as on a video. Of course, I can't bring any to mind right now but I suppose inset sleeve technique might fit here. In fact that particular eureka moment for me was delivered in the early 70s by Ann Ladbury on her TV sewing programme. Fond memories.  :)

I don't like to just watch hours either but it can help if you use the chapter summaries to pick your way through and the speed control is really useful when wanting to scan through the chat and plough past the stuff that's already within my own bank of knowledge/experience.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

classical retro

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:45 AM »
Thank you Morgan for this alert. I’ve started viewing   https://www.mybluprint.com/playlist/11514/21428?vpe=true&t=0#main
I never learnt embroidery so thought this would kill two birds with one stone. She, understandably plugs her school but there are lots of tips about slow sewing/back to basics. However I don’t have many of the resources. Makes me glad I have a fabric and haberdashery collection in my own home to continue garment making during the current climate.

In case the link doesn’t work it’s Creative Embellishments. It’s not really my style but it will develop my hand sewing skills.

CR :angel:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 17:40:49 PM »
The Natalie Chanin class that @classical retro mentioned is brilliant. Watch her skirt class to see how she utilizes these techniques. Also she has several short classes on Creativebug. They are giving two months free right now. Easiest way to find it is go to joann.com and scroll down.

Some classes I've enjoyed are Bev Johnson's under pants classes and pet portraits both coloured pencil and acrylic paint. Lots of super knitting classes

Bluprint has some great cooking classes.

At Creativebug most of their sewing classes include a pdf pattern download. I even got a few patterns I had planned on buying.

I subscribe to both.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 20:44:50 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 18:12:19 PM »
...Bluprint has some great cooking classes. Also most of their sewing classes include a pdf pattern download...

Oooh!  I'm not keen on following videos, but I'm very keen on (free) pdf patterns!  I will explore.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 20:43:12 PM »
Oooh!  I'm not keen on following videos, but I'm very keen on (free) pdf patterns!  I will explore.   0_0

I screwed up. Bluprint, great cooking classes. Creativebug most sewing classes include a free pdf pattern.  :facepalm: But since both are free right now I recommend checking both out!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 21:34:52 PM »
Heh - I hadn't got there yet, so you've saved me some frustration!  Creativebug... I don't know them.  Yet.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »
I’ve not heard of Creativebug either.  Another to explore

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 14:42:56 PM »
All videos supposedly free.  I can get them when I use my App on my iPad.  But if I go into the website there are  a lot that are subscription only and they won’t play.  Anyone else found this? 
Discussed with a friend and she has found the same.  Of course the ones I want are subscription ones! :). I don’t pay but am a member as I belonged to Craftsy.

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 14:55:43 PM »
I started to watch Wendy Gardiner’s The Sewing Toolbox hoping to pick up a few tips. I didn’t realise she lived in Portsmouth.