The Sewing Place

Bra pattern

Efemera

Bra pattern
« on: March 27, 2020, 21:45:03 PM »
Anyone recommend a good bra pattern?..I’ve always said I couldn’t be bothered to make one but with all this time on my hands I thought I’d give it a go.

BrendaP

Re: Bra pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 23:38:57 PM »
My most successful makes were from a carefully unpicked M&S bra, this one I think.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
and one of mine
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

KwikSew 3594 is very similar, though it doesn't use underwires.

I bought the Craftsy (Now Bluprint) Sewing Bras course with Beverley Johnson and the one she demonstrates is a classic full band with a two piece cup, very similar to my M&S one.
Kwik Sew 3594 is very similar, it just doesn't have the underwires.

As far as I can see the only difference between a wired and a non-wired bra of that design is that if you want wires you need to use proper channelling over the seam between cup and cradle (lower band) but for non-wired you only need to use seam binding.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:02:56 AM »
For a specific unwired pattern look no further than the Cloth Habit Watson bra.  I've made several.  The instructions are good and there is a sewalong on the website.
Life's too short for ironing.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
I like this one from Make Bra.

The three piece cup gives you a lot of space for alterations and they have lots of photo instructions on their website.