The Sewing Place

Wonky side seams

BrendaP

Re: Wonky side seams
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 14:56:22 PM »
Measure the inside leg seam of the pattern and measure the same seams of the fabric pieces. Are they the same?

I'm thinking that the main problem now (whatever the cause) is that the fabric has stretched out of shape.  You will need to ease the long side and stretch the short side to put it right.

BTW, for future reference 7mm seam allowance on a woven fabric is quite narrow, you usually sew at 15mm for the main pieces.  Narrower seam allowances on home sewing patterns are usually only used for jersey fabrics where the instructions include sewing with an overlocker.  (Factory ready to wear production is different)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »
BTW, for future reference 7mm seam allowance on a woven fabric is quite narrow, you usually sew at 15mm for the main pieces.  Narrower seam allowances on home sewing patterns are usually only used for jersey fabrics where the instructions include sewing with an overlocker.  (Factory ready to wear production is different)

Seconding this. I would say 10mm is the absolute minimum I am happy with on anything, 15mm is my preference and I often go up to 25mm on side seams when I need to fit things.

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
i will agree with the others that the fabric was off grain when you cut these out.

Here is a link to a wonderful video on You Tube  on how to straighten the grain:

FD.50 Layout, cutting and marking: Camp shirt - West Valley College (the person demonstrating is Karen Kurtz)

A long time ago now and whilst I was still at school in order to straighten the fabric two of us held the fabric on opposite corners and gave a really huge tug several times and this did have an effect.  However I appreciate we do not always have someone else to hand to help with this, so do try Karen Kurtz method  However first may I suggest you pull a thread or two out along the non selvedge edge first and that will then show you when the fabric is laid on the table whether it is straight or not- this can be quite illuminating.  I know it can sometimes be a pain to try and pull a thread out, use a pin to help you but so well worth it in the long run.