The Sewing Place

Am I mad to want to attempt jeans?

Vezelay

Re: Am I mad to want to attempt jeans?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 14:36:08 PM »
1. Topstitching thread is heavier than standard sew-all thread and comes in several colours including navy. Sometimes I'll use a double sew-all thread in one needle to substitute if I need a specific colour or run out. You can use a single standard thread but it won't look as good. You use a longer stitch length for topstitching as a rule.

2. For that fabric my Janome would work best with a 90/14 stretch needle as it has lycra in. Others may have different advice for your Juki.

JudyN

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 15:12:29 PM »
Thank you @Vezelay  :D

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 18:08:31 PM »
There is a really good you tube video called 'sewing tutorial with Lynn making jeans' - sorry don't know how to do link  ><
Is it possible to change clothes when you get home into your 'comfies'? It might help rather than adapting jeans to be that loose around the waist when your out in case they fall down  :ninja:  I always change when I get home I can't bare to sit around in going out clothes have to put my leggings (home made of course) on as soon as I get in.

JudyN

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 18:18:21 PM »
Thanks Sewgorgeous - it wouldn't really work because when I'm working at home I'm also in 'relaxed' mode (the bra gets undone as well and I have to do it up quick if someone comes round). And 'dressing up' to go dog walking seems a bit silly!

It's partly a psychological thing - if we have people round I can sit on the same seat in 'proper' clothes, bra done up, and be perfectly comfortable. Then the moment they go, I have to go into comfort mode again.

I should also investigate making low-rise leggings - after all, my knickers are comfy, which is just as well really!

JudyN

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 19:27:00 PM »
I have an old pair of rtw yoga pants which use the cotton jersey fabric itself, folded over, for a waistband, no elastic. They do have ties but don't need them as they stay up all by themselves and are super comfortable.

Something like this http://sweet-verbena.blogspot.com/search?q=Yoga. I'm sure you'll find other similar patterns out there.

Myself I just make variations on the Style Arc Elle pant (some actually pass for jeans) but keep the elastic and waist comfortably relaxed.

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now - somewhere I spotted a guide for making a yoga waistband out of an old t shirt. I've got a couple of tight-fitting t shirts that I don't wear because I have to hold my tummy in... They're comfy though, so if I made a waistband from one of them and attached it to the leggings I cut the elastic off, it might just work...

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 16:52:17 PM »
Get yourself a couple of new bobbins of thread, it's not worth running the risk of running out if you put in a lot of work. Get denim needles - they're designed to go through the multitude of thicknesses you'll have.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Sewingforfun

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
I did the Ginger jeans class last year - it’s very good!! She (Heather Lou, the designer) actually recommended two strands of regular thread in the needle and one in the bobbin instead of top sticking thread.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

JudyN

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
I've got as far as ordering the Ginger Jeans pattern  :) I realised I hadn't the confidence to buy the fabric online without feeling it, and didn't want to have to order lots of samples. Doing it this way, at least I can try to get my head around the process before starting rather than diving in and making a mess of it!

I have to make a good  fist of it just to prove my mother wrong...  ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
Your mother is your mother until either you're dead or she is. Good luck with that!  :S

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I imagine trouser fitting to be a nightmare.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
@JudyN  Just came across this thread. I remember a pattern for maternity skirts that had a flat front that adjusted over the pockets with buttons and buttonholes on the sides of the waistband. Can you imagine what I described? Might have a go at drawing it if you cannot. Let me know.  I'm sure you can do something wearable anyhow. Tell your mum!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

JudyN

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »
@toileandtrouble , I'll have a search for maternity patterns - good idea!

My mum is lovely, but... prone to criticise rather than praise. I'm still traumatised by the time I came out of a fitting room in a badly fitting dress and she said 'That dress makes your figure look even worse'  >:) Im never going to let her forget that one!

wrenkins

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 13:14:27 PM »
My mum still casts up my Brutus baggies from 1976!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!